78 dodge 440 trans dipstick Help please

  • Kathy Y
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 2 4:19 AM
      My dodge is a 78 with a 440, however it's in NY (I'm in NC) at my sisters
      house....
      I will have her measure it, maybe she'll be able to do it tonight.

      Mom

    • Bill Combs
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 3 6:28 AM
        On Friday, May 30, 2003, at 11:23 AM, lawsonland2000 wrote:

        > Hi Everyone,
        > I was wondering if anyone out there can measure their tranny dipstick
        > for me. Mine is missing and I have one that is too long, I have a 78
        > dodge with a 440 and 727? tran If you can please measure from the
        > point where the stick meets the tube where is goes in, I wil cut mine
        > to fit. It goes in on the left side is quite long. Any advice or help
        > thanks in advance. Jon

        Did this one get answered and I missed it?

        I'm in a position to measure mine this afternoon and will do so if
        necessary.
        --
        Regards,
        Bill Combs <ttursine@...>
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 3 10:53 AM
          Hi,
          That would be great if you could ask her. If she can measure the
          length that goes into the tube and the lenth at the bottom for the
          full line.
          Thank you very much.
          Jon
        • lawsonland2000
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 3 10:55 AM
            Hi Bill,
            If you could measure it too that would be good to have another (Kathy
            is going to try to get her sis to check.
            Hi,
            If you can measure the length that goes into the tube and the length
            from the bottom for the full line.
            Thank you very much.
            Jon
          • Bill Combs
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 3 12:50 PM
              On Tuesday, June 3, 2003, at 12:55 PM, lawsonland2000 wrote:

              > Hi Bill,
              > If you could measure it too that would be good to have another (Kathy
              > is going to try to get her sis to check.
              > Hi,
              > If you can measure the length that goes into the tube and the length
              > from the bottom for the full line.
              > Thank you very much.
              > Jon

              Well, that's a horse on me. :-)

              I have a '77 Dodge van which does not have the extended trans dipstick
              to check from under the hood. I would have sworn, however, that Old
              Blue (a '75 Dodge based Superior) did have the front dipstick. I was
              wrong ... which is logical (but embarrassing) since the vans did not
              switch to the longer dipstick until 1978. I'm remembering someone
              else's MH I guess.

              Sorry.
              --
              Regards,
              Bill Combs <ttursine@...>
              http://home.earthlink.net/~ttursine
              --
              I'm not a complete idiot,
              some parts are missing.

              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 3 3:26 PM
                Is the dipstick the kind that you have to pull the doghouse to get to, or is
                it one of those LONG suckers that you get to from the front?
                Pat in MD

              • lawsonland2000
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 3 5:27 PM
                  Hi It is one of the long suckers from the front.
                  Jon

                • hackeyfly@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 3 6:12 PM
                    Ah, can't help ya there. One of these days I'm gonna grab a doghouse out of a
                    junkyard, and make a little door so I can check mine w/o pulling the
                    doghouse. Good Luck,
                    Pat in Joppa

                  • lawsonland2000
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 9 6:40 PM
                      Hi Kathy,
                      Where you able to measure the stick?
                      Thanks
                      Jon
                    • Eric
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 9 8:58 PM
                        BUT Jon.......IF you get that proper stick spec - is your tube going
                        to be the same spec as hers too ? I STILL would suggest that deep pan
                        WITH drain plug for that 727 trans. It lets YOU keep track of the
                        condition of the trans and allows EZ fluid changes.

                        > Hi Kathy,
                        > Where you able to measure the stick?
                        > Thanks
                        > Jon
                      • lawsonland2000
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 10 8:06 PM
                          Hi Eric,
                          What do you mean by the deep pan? Do I replace the pan with a new
                          one? How would I know the tranny level after I replaced it?
                          The dip stick is missing and I have one that is too long for it.
                          Thanks
                          jon
                        • Eric
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 10 10:25 PM
                            Jon................. a deep 727 transmission oil pan WITH a drain
                            plug. This is available through any Dodge dealer through the
                            performance department. WHEN you use this deep pan - JUST as long as
                            the fluid shows on the stick - you are OK. How far does the stick
                            STOCK into the pan now? You can find out IF you pull the pan off.
                            This whole operation is not a big deal - just a little time and about
                            50 bucks plus fluid. Your thoughts? E

                            > Hi Eric,
                            > What do you mean by the deep pan? Do I replace the pan with a new
                            > one? How would I know the tranny level after I replaced it?
                            > The dip stick is missing and I have one that is too long for it.
                            > Thanks
                            > jon
                          • Frogmobile
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 10 11:36 PM
                              Not all Dodge dealerships have a Mopar Performance department, and some
                              that do, don't have knowledgeable staff. Some dealerships that carry MP
                              parts charge full list price, and others discount (some even sell MP at
                              their cost).

                              I'm a big proponent of buying from local suppliers when there is no cost
                              difference, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to check prices someplace like
                              Jeg's or Summit as a comparison beforehand.

                              Jay

                              At 05:25 AM 6/11/03 +0000, you wrote:
                              >Jon................. a deep 727 transmission oil pan WITH a drain
                              >plug. This is available through any Dodge dealer through the
                              >performance department. WHEN you use this deep pan - JUST as long as
                              >the fluid shows on the stick - you are OK. How far does the stick
                              >STOCK into the pan now? You can find out IF you pull the pan off.
                              >This whole operation is not a big deal - just a little time and about
                              >50 bucks plus fluid. Your thoughts? E
                              >

                              > > Hi Eric,
                              > > What do you mean by the deep pan? Do I replace the pan with a new
                              > > one? How would I know the tranny level after I replaced it?
                              > > The dip stick is missing and I have one that is too long for it.
                              > > Thanks
                              > > jon
                            • Eric
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 11 11:41 AM
                                I have never seen a dealership that did not have a catalog and could
                                not or would not order out of it. TRUE - some of these dealerships do
                                not discount AT ALL - but for a 50$ bill - I don't think that he
                                could go wrong. AND - those discounters that you mention - they stick-
                                it-to-ya' on other fees and charges that the dealership normally does
                                not.

                                I just checked Summit.....that pan is 45.95$ with other fees to be
                                added. A good dealer should be selling this for a 50$ bill....and
                                they don't charge freight - ON a regular normal parts order.

                                BTW - the part # is 3690730. There MIGHT be a P in front of the
                                part#.

                                > Not all Dodge dealerships have a Mopar Performance department, and
                                some
                                > that do, don't have knowledgeable staff. Some dealerships that
                                carry MP
                                > parts charge full list price, and others discount (some even sell
                                MP at
                                > their cost).
                                >
                                > I'm a big proponent of buying from local suppliers when there is no
                                cost
                                > difference, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to check prices someplace
                                like
                                > Jeg's or Summit as a comparison beforehand.
                                >
                                > Jay
                                >
                                > At 05:25 AM 6/11/03 +0000, you wrote:
                                > >Jon................. a deep 727 transmission oil pan WITH a drain
                                > >plug. This is available through any Dodge dealer through the
                                > >performance department. WHEN you use this deep pan - JUST as long
                                as
                                > >the fluid shows on the stick - you are OK. How far does the stick
                                > >STOCK into the pan now? You can find out IF you pull the pan off.
                                > >This whole operation is not a big deal - just a little time and
                                about
                                > >50 bucks plus fluid. Your thoughts? E
                                > >

                                > > > Hi Eric,
                                > > > What do you mean by the deep pan? Do I replace the pan with a
                                new
                                > > > one? How would I know the tranny level after I replaced it?
                                > > > The dip stick is missing and I have one that is too long for it.
                                > > > Thanks
                                > > > jon
                              • mikex536
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 11 3:04 PM
                                  No matter how deep the pan the dipstick is not affected..the full
                                  mark still represents full as far as the sump is concerned unless
                                  you modify the pickup point. Mike,

                                • Eric
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 11 4:48 PM
                                    The pickup extension IS included with the pan package. This combo
                                    allows you to run about two extra quarts - so what I have done is
                                    only run one quart more - this lowers the fluid level and thus keeps
                                    the internals of the trans away from contact with the fluid better.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jun 12 12:56 AM
                                      You've been fortunate, then. I wish I could say I've had similar experiences.

                                      I have personally set foot in the parts department of a major metropolitan
                                      area dealership that did not have any MP catalogs at the facility (at least
                                      that's what they said), did not have any MP items displayed in the parts
                                      area, and would not order the part I had come in intending to buy. I'm
                                      also on the Mopar Mailing list, and have heard similar stories from people
                                      in other parts of the country.

                                      For other factory parts, I've comparison shopped a few local dealerships,
                                      and have had some instances where a part that was $100-ish at one
                                      dealership was ~$200 someplace else, and was over $400 at a crosstown
                                      competitor.

                                      I've also purchased MP parts mail order through Eastside Chrysler Jeep
                                      somewhere in Washington state. They represented that they sell MP (parts
                                      with a "P" at the beginning of the part number) at their cost. I have no
                                      way to verify that, but their prices were about 30% lower than any local
                                      dealership, and other than a ~$5 shipping charge (more than offset by the
                                      sales tax savings), there were no extra costs added on. They even threw in
                                      the latest MP catalog, a few magazines, and a couple of promotional items
                                      like pens. It has been a few years since I bought anything from them so I
                                      don't know if they still have this policy.

                                      It is certainly reasonable that a local dealer could sell this pan for
                                      $50. I just suspect that some dealers might try to charge more for it. I
                                      just wanted Jon to know there were other options if that were the case.

                                      Jay

                                    • Eric
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jun 12 9:16 AM
                                        WOW................and I would not doubt that all of this happened !!
                                        I am sure that there are even worse horror stories than this to
                                        report. What particular 100$ish part are you talking about?

                                      • Frogmobile
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jun 12 11:05 PM
                                          A power module for my '86 GLHS.

                                          In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that the cheaper units
                                          were remanufactured ones, and the $400+ one was from a dealership that said
                                          remanufactured power modules don't exist. Also, at least one dealership
                                          tried to sell me one with a different part number, which I later found out
                                          would not have worked for my application, anyway.

                                          Jay