Ford 7.3 C6 transmission

  • tarscampbell
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2003
      The gentleman that originally owned our 89 27' Telstar on a 88 Ford
      350 chassis warned us about what he thought was a weak C6
      transmission. He told us the transmission had been rebuilt twice
      before he traded it in. (We are the second owners)

      He was right, it failed again after just 10,000 miles from the last
      rebuild he had done. Total milage at the 3rd failure is about
      123,000. The clutches burned out and slipped badly in 2nd gear.
      Also the motor had to over rev to get the coach moving from a dead
      stop and had a lot of torque converter slippage in third gear.

      I just had the C6 rebuilt with a new shift kit, bored out the valve
      body to increase the pressure to make the shift quicker and firm.
      had the torque converter rebuilt to low stall speed for rvs.
      (Actually I think the rebuild shop simply took mine torque converter
      for the core and handed me a rebuilt converter.)

      We are going to install the transmission back in the rv in the
      morning.

      Question does anyone have any experiance with going to a low stall
      speed torque converter? Good or bad?

      Has anyone put in a shift kit designed to improve the shifting?

      What about drilling out the valve body for increased pressure to
      improve the shift?

      Should I expect any improvement in fuel milage?

      Any information will be appreacated.

      Thanks for your help,

      Merle