Re: price of M500 brake job?

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 31, 2003
      A 45$ wheel cyl is not bad nut 105$ pads OR is it shoes?....THAT
      sounds WAY high.

      > > Ya the rear brakes need new wheel cylinders one bad all bad far
      as
      > i am concerned wheel cyl $45.00 ea. pads $105
    • Dan Anderson
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1 3:27 PM
        YA --this is the cost of doing business with Ins. and wages and all the licenses for all the chemicals and other regulated materials. I'm think Sterling will agree, The cost of running a business is very expensive. And the cost of skilled labor is high. Dan
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1 5:35 PM
          --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, "faubloose2" <faubloose2@c...>
          wrote:
          > Hi all
          > just doing brakes on my 78 pace. I was wondering what a brake job
          > like this would cost to have done. all machining done and all.
          > I was not bargain hunting parts but i have about $110 in front
          > brakes.Working on rears now will have about 300$ in parts.
          > Just curious.

          I just did the front brakes on my m-400 and the calipars cost 39
          dollars each at Napa and the pads were 35 bucks. Could not find
          replacement brake hoses so I had them made at a hydralic hose shop
          for 25 bucks each.
          Will start on the rears this week.
          Oh yeah if anyone has a very hard brake pedal try putting on new
          brake hoses. It solved my stiff pedal problems.

          Bob
        • Eric
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1 7:06 PM
            JUST how much of that 80$ an hour does that poor guy who actually
            does the job get?.... 8.50$ maybe. Now THAT ratio is way out of line
            and by the time they jack UP the cost of the parts....... DO IT
            yourself.

            I just found an bill from the MH that I just bought - done in the
            late 80's.....headpipe, a muff and a short tailpipe(ten feet total
            length) - almost 400$ - and the job is terrible.

            > YA --this is the cost of doing business with Ins. and wages and all
            the licenses for all the chemicals and other regulated materials.
            I'm think Sterling will agree, The cost of running a business is very
            expensive. And the cost of skilled labor is high. Dan

            > JUST my opinion Dan.....but doing brakes is NOT rocket-science
            and
            > MOST of these shops will HOSE you - big-time. Eric
          • faubloose2
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1 7:43 PM
              Rear shoes 15x4" both sides $105.00. i have done one side today 4
              hours (most time cleaning brake fluid off of drum and back plate)
              still the only way i can afford to own this rig is to buy cheap, fix
              it my self.

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 1 7:55 PM
                Ya I agree do the work yourself. Someone asked what a shop would charge so I gave them the way to figure the cost. I'm all for people doing the work themselves if they can. I work in a truck shop on commercial trucks and been doing it for 24 years now. I hear people complain all the time about the cost. Hell I complain when ever I have to take my own car in to get it fixed when it's a sensor or computer problem.

                Parts cost what ever you find them for .Some times it's a deal, some times you pay through the nose.
                Dan
                JUST how much of that 80$ an hour does that poor guy who actually
                does the job get?.... 8.50$ maybe. Now THAT ratio is way out of line
                and by the time they jack UP the cost of the parts....... DO IT
                yourself.

                I just found an bill from the MH that I just bought - done in the
                late 80's.....headpipe, a muff and a short tailpipe(ten feet total
                length) - almost 400$ - and the job is terrible.

                > YA --this is the cost of doing business with Ins. and wages and all
                the licenses for all the chemicals and other regulated materials.
                I'm think Sterling will agree, The cost of running a business is very
                expensive. And the cost of skilled labor is high. Dan

                > JUST my opinion Dan.....but doing brakes is NOT rocket-science
                and
                > MOST of these shops will HOSE you - big-time. Eric

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor