RE: [classicrv] re i recently got a 1977 titan by champion need info??? <- converters

  • bucky
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
      I too would like to find manuals late 70's progressive dynamics converters.
      I currently have mine disassembled and it seems simple enough to repair
      except I'm not sure I want to.

      I've been leaning towards building a computer controlled (basic stamp)
      charger that could support both my deep cycle batteries (lights, water pump)
      and my sealed lead acid batteries (entertainment electronics).

      What I have discovered from tracing wires is it appears when the converter
      goes online the house loads are removed from the battery and the charging
      power is connected to the battery. Does anyone with newer converters know if
      the converter disconnects the house loads in order to charge the batteries?

      It also appears the charging current could not be high enough to properly
      maintain the deep cycle batteries. Since I'll almost always be boondocking
      and prefer to only run the generator a few hours a day I need to charge my
      batteries at near the highest rate allowed for each battery type. (Actually
      the sealed lead acid batteries require a 7 hour charge so they will only
      receive a partial charge when boondocking. I'll charge these at home or will
      driving).

      Bucky
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
        Bucky - you may want to check out the Intelli-Power converter/Charge Wizard combination - available at most RV suppliers. They retail around a couple of hundred bucks, but are often on sale for considerably less. These incorporate all the functions you've described.

        Tuna
        '48 Airstream 'Trailwind'
        '79 ('81) Dodge 'Champion'
        '83 Burro 13'
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
          Bucky-

          I have a later PD converter [1985] [have full documentation for that as
          well] and the charger is always providing 15 amperes to the coach batteries
          whenever I am on shore power or the Genset is providing AC power. Of course
          when Boonedocking we run on the coach batteries alone. Everything in our
          coach runs off 12V with the exception of the A/C units, the microwave, and
          the TV. The PD circuit is a simple SCR controlled scheme.. Probably yours is
          any early variation. When Boonedocking we make sure the reefer is off
          automatic and running strictly on gas. We run the Genset for about an hour
          in the AM and later for another hour during suppertime. This seems to keep
          the coach batteries up, though we have never dry camped for any longer than
          4 days at a time. We seem to be limited by gray water capacity, not power
          availability :-).

          Joel in NH

          Joel B. Chappell - KC1SG
          21 Billings Street