Carpet cleaning in a motorhome

  • NED BEDINGER
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2003
      Quick question (short version of a long question I thought
      I sent last night, but it didn't make it to the digest):

      I want to clean my Winnebago's carpeting. My plywood deck
      seem intact enough that I don't have obvious weak or
      damaged areas to avoid with the steam. But the underside
      of my chassis is insulated with foam, and the carpet has
      foam under pad. Is steam a reasonable and safe way to
      clean motorhome carpet?

      Ned Bedinger
      ned.b@...
    • Ron Cottrell
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 30, 2003
        Hello Ned,
        Yes steam cleaning the carpet is ok, I use to work for
        a carpet cleaning co. an we did a lot of RV's.
        You want to make sure that you don't get it too wet
        and depending where you are leave a heater on low to
        dry it or leave the windows open if you are in a warm
        climant.
        Ron

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • mxteam44 <mxteam44@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 31, 2003
          Just my 2 cents worth, and I do agree that steam cleaning wont be a
          problem if you don't get it too wet, and leave the windows open or
          heat on to dry it out. One other option that I've used in my home is a
          dry-cleaning system. I rented one for the weekend and all you do is
          spray a VERY fine mist of cleaning solution over the carpet, then
          sprinkle this "saw-dust" looking stuff over the area and then use a
          small machine with round brushes that circulate in opposite directions
          and work it back and forth over the area to be cleaned. Then wait an
          hour and vaccuum it all up. No moisture gets to your wood
          sub-flooring. It worked great in our house, and my brother-in-law used
          it in his house and the stuff even got a grape juice stain out of very
          light colored gray carpet that he had been trying for several years to
          remove. It cost me about $75 to rent the machine and all the
          "saw-dust" to clean about 2000 sf of carpet. Not as cheap as a steam
          cleaner, but works wonderfully without the wet carpet afterwards. Just
          a thought.
          Randy