Re: [classicrv] Dodge engine casting # ??

  • Sterling Voth
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2002
      Are you trying to find the engine size?? If so that is stamped on the front
      of the block on a small pad right in front of the cylinder head and facing
      upwards. You have to normally get the grease off to read it. First three
      numbers are the engine size, i.e. 440, 413, 383, etc. That is if you have a
      Dodge chassis as I think you mentioned before??

      Sterling......
      --
      "The thing to do in Yellowstone
      Is leave the grizzly bears alone,

      ----------
      From: "aladixiebelle" <lynn@...>
      To: classicrv@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [classicrv] Dodge engine casting # ??
      Date: Mon, Dec 2, 2002, 4:43 PM

      I found this casting # on the motor : GT4131029 -- Anyone know what
      it is ? Sure would be appreciated -- I've searched all over the net
      trying to find a site where you can type in an engine casting # for
      Dodge/Chrysler and all to no avail -- know any place where I can do
      that ? Thanks so much for your continued help :-)

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • Frogmobile
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2002
        The pad is only in that location on "A" or "LA" engines such as the 318 and
        360.
        "RB" or Hemi engines such as the 413, 426 and 440 have the pad above the
        water pump. offset to the left side. On the lower-decked "B" engines, such
        as the 383 and 400, there is no pad in that location, although similar
        information can be found near the distributor shaft.

        Dodge engines should have a machined pad on the side, just above the oil
        pan. If the engine is original to a Dodge vehicle, it should have a
        partial VIN stamped on it. Replacement (i.e., factory warranty) blocks are
        machined but unstamped. I don't know whether a motorhome built by a
        third-party coachbuilder would have a stamping there.

        aladixiebelle, you should look at
        http://www.yearone.com/updatedsinglepages/Id_info/engine_id.htm for more info.