Re: [classicrv] Re: Old Dinosaur

  • Vern Melton
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2002
      Thanks`Jack!
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Jack Rabon
      To: 'classicrv@yahoogroups.com'
      Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 9:03 AM
      Subject: [classicrv] Re: Old Dinosaur

      I had this problem years ago, with a 1970 Dodge chassis. Simple cure was
      to get the wear points renewed in the front end. A good front end shop can
      do the deed in a half day.

      After the kingpins and steering rod ends were brought up to spec, the sway
      was very much less. You always could feel when a truck was passing, but
      just minor steering pressures were needed to keep the rig on track.

      Funny how having the steering up to factory standards helps steering, eh?

      Other things to check - proper weight on the hitch, which should be about
      10% of the trailer. Having too little weight on the hitch makes the
      trailer sensitive, and prone to "hunt" around back there. It wags the dog,
      so to speak. Also make sure the tire pressures are correct.

      After all that, if it still is a problem, a friction damper can be fitted
      between the trailer & your RV.

      We did not have to use the damper, since a tight front end cured the
      problem.

      Jack