Re: Red Hot Manifold

  • Jack Rabon
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2002
      Anyone remember seeing the old, radial engine aircraft pass overhead at
      night? You could see the exhaust flame for miles. In the distance, the
      brightest thing seen was the 4 blue lights of the exhaust. They were
      brighter than the required white tail light, which is a standard 26 watts
      (about half of an automotive headlight).

      Sure, this was before strobes & anti-collision lighting were added to
      aircraft, but the exhaust was bright.

      You could set the engine mixture by watching the color of the flame, on
      smaller engines. The big guys had more instrumentation to go by.

      So it is not unusual for any hard working engine to have a red hot exhaust.
      You just don't normally see it.

      When I was much younger I rode to a jobsite at night in the crane operators
      seat. The actual operator was up front, driving the unit. And this guy
      could actually make use of the intermediate gearbox & 2 speed rear axles.
      You could see him using both arms to push, pull & prod that large
      International gasoline six cylinder's transmissions. He kept the engine
      rpms up in the power band, and we accelerated much better than the other
      fellers were able to make that old beast go.

      After about 5 minutes of stopping at stop signs & rowing through all the
      gears, I noticed a red glow in the engine compartment (which had only
      expanded metal venting on the rear). Called the operator on the radio &
      told him we had a fire in the engine compartment. He stopped to check it
      out, but we found no problem. Back on the road, it glowed again & I began
      to see the form of the manifold. By the end of a 30 minute trip, it was up
      to a bright orange color. It was bright enough to cast shadows on the
      crane deck, when we finally stopped.

      I don't mind replacing spark plug wires when they look old & worn. They
      have to go through a lot in their heated workplace.

      Jack