RED HOT EXAUST MANIFOLD

  • mixupdna
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
      DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHY AN EXAUST MANIFOLD
      WOULD GET RED HOT? ONE SIDE OF THE ENGINE WAS GLOWING, BUT I'M
      NOT SURE THE OTHER WAS, BUT I THINK IT WAS.

      SIGNED, BAFFLED DAN
    • Rich
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
        Dan

        We had a discussion about that a month ago. Some did not know that it is perfectly normal for manifolds to be red hot while using WOT pulling 10 to 20,000 lbs up a longer mountain grade. Thats why the spark plug wires need replacing when you go to remove them. And thats also what will burn valves and pistons if running too lean or to much timing advance. But timing is seldom a problem when above 3000 ft altitude.

        Rich

        "Time to go fishing"

      • bobalou1@prodigy.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
          BAFFLED DAN,

          A blocked up catalitic convertor or exhaust system will cause this
          condition. But when this is the case performance is poor due to the
          engine not being able to breath.

          I have seen catalitic convertors come apart and the pieces get
          trapped in the muffler causing the same condition. Kinked pipes will
          also create back preassure and heat things up.

          Bob.
        • Joel B. Chappell
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
            Bob-

            I've seen my own 454 do this lots of times. I don't have a cat. My 3" pipes
            are not kinked. My engine is perfectly timed, and the mixture is not too
            lean. It just happens.

            Joel In NH

            Joel B. Chappell - KC1SG
            21 Billings Street
            Milford, NH 03055

            A blocked up catalitic convertor or exhaust system will cause this
            condition. But when this is the case performance is poor due to the
            engine not being able to breath.

            I have seen catalitic convertors come apart and the pieces get
            trapped in the muffler causing the same condition. Kinked pipes will
            also create back preassure and heat things up.

            Bob.

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • vbmdu
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 1, 2002
              If the exhaust was plugged, most likely the engine won't rev up. I
              had a converter break apart on a truck and as a result, I could only
              drive very gently in low RPM. Flooring it would only make it jerk and
              sputter.

              --- In classicrv@y..., "bobalou1@p..." <bobalou1@p...> wrote:
              > BAFFLED DAN,
              >
              > A blocked up catalitic convertor or exhaust system will cause this
              > condition. But when this is the case performance is poor due to the
              > engine not being able to breath.
              >
              > I have seen catalitic convertors come apart and the pieces get
              > trapped in the muffler causing the same condition. Kinked pipes
              will
              > also create back preassure and heat things up.
              >
              > Bob.
            • Rich
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 2, 2002
                If an exhaust system is plugged or severely restricted, I doubt that the manifolds or headers would ever turn red. If the fire can't burn, it won't do much heating. I know when my manifolds are burning red ! It's when I'm wound tight in 2nd gear trying to hold 55 mph pulling 14000 lbs up an 8 mile 6% grade !! :)))))

                Rich

                "Time to go fishing"

              • bobalou1@prodigy.net
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 2, 2002
                  But when this is the case performance is poor due to the
                  > engine not being able to breath.

                  Joel,

                  I only gave 1 senerio, we don't know from the original post if the
                  performance was poor. "AND YES THE EXHAUST WILL TURN RED IF
                  RESTRICTED"

                  BOB.