9221Re: Roof repair

  • gizmont
    Jul 2, 2002
      --- In classicrv@y..., "haljr57us" <haljr57us@y...> wrote:
      > --- In classicrv@y..., "gizmont" <gizmont@k...> wrote:
      > > HI-
      > >
      > > My father is the proud new recipient of a 1972 Chieftan. Boy
      does
      > > it need a lot of work! Our first project is to repair the caved
      in
      > > roof. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to best go about
      > > this? We were thinking 3/4 inch plywood - foam - something for
      the
      > > ceiling and using the existing tin with some sort of sealant.
      Any
      > > pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - Beth
      >

      > HAL HERE. THE ROOF OF THE WINNEBAGOS IS MADE OF METAL,FOAM AND
      > PANNELING. ALL 3 LAYERS ARE GLUED TOGETHER. YOU CAN ORDER A REPAIR
      > MANUAL FROM YOUR LOCAL WINNEBAGO DEALER THAT COVERS THE REPAIR
      WORK
      > THAT YOU ARE DOING. THEIR ORDER NUMBER IS 701674-02-000. IT IS FOR
      77
      > TO 79,BUT WILL WORK FOR WHAT YOU NEED.
      > I HAD TO REPAIR THE CEILING ABOVE THE DRIVERS AREA. THE SEAM HAD
      > LEAKED. REMOVED THE HEADLINER, PANNELING AND FOAM. USED SPRAY GLUE
      ON
      > THE NEW FOAM TO HOLD IT INPLACE AND THEN GLUED NEW DOOR SKIN TO
      THE
      > FOAM.I BRACED EVERY THING WITH A SHEET OF 3/4 PLYWOOD WHILE
      > EVERYTHING DRIED. I THEN INSTALLED NEW MATERIAL ON THE DOOR
      SKIN.USED
      > SPRAY GLUE AND STAPLED THE EDGES. USED EDGE MODLING TO HIDE THE
      > STAPLES. IF I CAN HELP YOU ANYMORE LET ME KNOW. I HAVE A 79 BRAVE.

      Thanks Hal. Yesterday my dad installed the plywood across the rear,
      middle, and front. He then glued the metal to the plywood. He
      plans to brace the plywood with aluminum strips before applying the
      foam and ceiling panels. It seems to me that the plywood is going
      to be too heavy. What do you think?
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic