    Feb 4 Expand Messages
      Dave, if it worked the day the warranty ran out, its been blessed!

      All the rest were cursed at birth!

      On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 6:50 PM, Dave S. <daslater@...> wrote:

      Todd,
      I just hope you haven't put a curse on mine now...LOL
      DFD

      Sent from my Samsung Mobile smartphone that is smarter than me. .

      -------- Original message --------
      From: Todd Barnard
      Date:02/04/2014 5:46 PM (GMT-06:00)
      To: classicrv@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [classicrv] RE: Duo-Therm furnace issues again!!!!

      Thanks Reddog, I worked on these things for almost 25 years, and trained plenty of folks to do it as well.

      I started in the early '80s when Duotherm was the best out there... that changed when they came out with their doomed 9000 series. I think Deep Freeze Dave has one of the few working ones in North America!

      Those Suburbans seemed to always get a clog in the burner orifice! Especially the early ones that had the cast iron burners.  I'd seen a few that would fill up with rain water thru the rear vent and rust those iron burners shut.

      I became an expert at pulling the burner and all out of the front of the old NT series guys and removing that orifice with a socket and very long extension.  Lining that orifice back up with its fine threads was tricky, but do-able with practice!

      The convections were popular in small trailers and truck campers back then, even smaller motorhomes.  I didnt see many Suburbans, mostly Clare Jewel and Hydro Flame.

      Suburban made them a lot later than the other guys, but they had to increase clearances to pass safety regs, and they soon got too big to be practical.

      Now my eyes and knees would both challenge me to work on these things!

      Cheers, Todd.

      On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 3:36 PM, <red2dog45@...> wrote:

      Todd - your earlier explanation is darn near as detailed as the manual! I found a full installation/owners manual online for the 659 series and it has a lot of detail about operation and troubleshooting. Let's see what Rob says about the  exact model. As you say the ignition type is the only real variable.

      I had a Suburban with the same problem that ended up to be a clogged burner nozzle. Very small carbon chunk that completely stopped flow. You have to take most of these furnaces out do do most anything.

      I have an operational 955 series, which has no blower or external thermostat. Just convection heat radiating out the front, and controlled(sort of) by a hot bulb thermocouple unit. Very crude!

    • Show all 34 messages in this topic