38892RE: Re: [classicrv] RE: RE: Re: Advise on buying a Older RV

  • Henry Blair Jr.
    Oct 9, 2013

      I am with the insurance company on this one.   The premium is actuarially calculated on the condition of cars of this model on the road.  If you want to insure for more,  companies like Haggerty are glad to do it.  It is a hard lesson to learn,  but what you spend on a vehicle is one of the least influential factors in determining it's value.

      Once, years ago, when Barrett was still alive,  I was near the auctioneers at Barrett Jackson when a particularly undesirable car came up.   The bidding went far above any reasonable estimated value.  The bidders were about 25 to 30 years apart in age.   One auctioneer said to another,  off mike,  "The old guy was introduced to the joys of sex in the back seat of a car like this when it was new, and the young fellow had the same experience when it was a beater. "  I know that to be the case of the young bidder.   I met him later in a bar.   This is a hard component of value to insure.

      Henry

    • Show all 40 messages in this topic