38640Re: '76 GMC won't start after winter

  • glen c
    Jun 1, 2013
      Try, or have someone try for you if you dont know how, jumping the starter solenoid. Sounds more like a mouse has chewed a wire in half, in this case the one going from solenoid to ignition switch. With the key in normal 'run' position and jumping the solenoid, the engine should start and run, with the key in the 'off' position the engine will still turn over but not start when the solenoid is jumped.

      Anything else and it could be a mechanical problem, starter or engine locked up.

      Glen

      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, skatingtoolman@... wrote:

      > I purchased a '76 GMC RV last year and the starter always engaged prior to putting it up for the winter. I winterized my RV for the winter. All was fine. I took the engine battery out and kept it on a trickle charge. The battery is fully charged. The shore battery to run all of the other electrical items appears to have been dead for quite some time, so I simply removed it.
      > My question is:
      > -Is the shore battery (probably calling it the wrong thing) required in order to start the engine?
      >
      > I know that the engine battery is good, because all of the normal electrical items like radio, lights and wipers work when running off of it. I even tried jumping the battery, but still no noise from the starter.
      >
      > Are the starters in these known to go bad if not used for 6 months?

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic