38405Re: Lets talk about overheating problems

  • Sirrobyn0
    Feb 13, 2013
      First I want to thank everyone for their thoughts I will try to address everyone here at once.

      While a diesel engine conversion would be great it is way out of the budget right now. If I could afford that kind of conversion I'd likely just by a motorhome with a diesel already in it. It be a lot of work to do the conversion.

      About eliminating the engine fuel pump. I could do that and just go with the pusher pump however it would only mask the problem which I believe is to much heat. Either the engine producing to much heat or not enough heat leaving the engine. I may eliminate the engine pump if I don't find a better solve however.

      I don't really think it is a clogged vent or a bad fuel line, though I will think about that some, and I may replace rubber lines just to see but this is definitely heat related as it is fine in the winter and never presents the vapor lock, perculate or overheating in the cooler winter temps.

      However, some time ago in the past the metal line from the fuel pump to the carburetor was replaced with a rubber line. Not sure if rubber might absorb heat more than the original metal line.

      The transmission has a large external cooler that was installed when the transmission was rebuilt. It is in good shape and has been checked, and is located in front of the a/c condenser.

      It has the original radiator fan and shroud I have measured both of them and they are correct.

      There is a hole in the bell housing that would have been to set the timing, but when the transmission was rebuilt the torque converter was replaced and the new one doesn't have any markings on it. I might try to make my own marks as someone suggested. I have not tested the advance curve on the distributor but I am thinking that I should.

      I have thought about going to a direct fan, but have been concerned about the constant fan rpm at high speed and how it might affect the water pump bearings. I would love more input on going to a direct drive fan. That would be one way to move more air in the engine compartment. I'm not keen on going to an electric fan just because the alternators on these dogs aren't that big to begin with.

      Also just for reference these problems have cropped up in the last few years. I'd like to stay away from modifying it to heavily if possible as this seems more like a wear, or adjustment problem, rather than a design issue.

      Thank you all for you input, I look forward to anymore discussion.

      Thanks,
      Rob