29641Re: REPLACING MY DIESEL

  • sheinrichs2000
    Mar 4, 2008
      Ron, thanks for the compliment. Edelbrock system was close to
      $3,000, but changed the character of the 440. Once, just for grins, I
      pulled the Grapevine north of LA (7 mile 6-7% grade) in high gear.
      It lugged the engine down to around 23-2500 rpm which is not good for
      it but had to do it just once! Normally, on a grade like that, when
      the rpm's drop I shift down to 3rd and then just hold the rpm at 37-
      3800 which is about 55mph in my coach. For others here is a link to a
      picture of my coach in my driveway. http://www.datastormusers.com/cgi-
      bin/album.pl?photo=00002569/P9300007.JPG;photo_height=600 . If not
      clickable, cut and paste.

      Stephen

      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Ron Mitchell <rmitchel@...> wrote:

      > Stephen,
      > Nice coach, I saw a picture on another site. What's an Edelbrock
      > MPI system like that cost for a 440? That looks the a nice setup.
      >
      > Ron
      > 76 Coachemn
      >
      > At 10:43 AM 03/04/2008, you wrote:
      >
      > >Scott, all of your posts have been right on! Yes, a filter - all
      > >diesel folks especially should carry an extra one (or two!). I
      have a
      > >1976 FMC which is a rear engined, Chrysler 440-I. I have converted
      > >the engine from a Thermoquad carb to Edelbrock MPI fuel injection,
      > >transmission from the 3 spd Chrysler to an Allison AT545 4 spd.
      > >Starts nice and has added power and a little better mileage.
      > >
      > >I will at some point be converting it to a Duramax LBZ tubo diesel
      (I
      > >have the engine in the garage). To do that I also need to switch to
      > >either a 5 or 6 speed Allison. The 6 speed will give me 1900 rpm at
      > >65 mph with the stock rear end. This is a multiyear project
      acquiring
      > >all of the needed parts (transmission, computers, wiring, etc.) and
      > >will probably end up costing in the $15-20,000 range. Why do it?
      This
      > >will give me the torgue (600 ftlbs) to pull 6% grades in high gear
      > >with my 15,000 lb coach. Is it cost effective? NO. But some things
      > >jsut need to be done and done correctly well. I never had a hot car
      > >in my youth, so I guess this is my outlet!
      > >
      > >Stephen H.

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic