29623Re: [classicrv] Turbocharging

  • Ron Mitchell
    Mar 1, 2008
      At 03:59 PM 03/01/2008, you wrote:
      >my issue isnt power....its mpgs!!

      I don't think turbocharging would gain you enough efficiency alone to
      be worth the cost. At best, I'd expect 1-2 mpg increase, if any. Its
      big advantage is being able to boost the power, without costing an
      arm & leg in efficiency, as most superchargers do, especially the
      Roots-type that we're used to seeing on top of dragsters. Those guys
      are measured in gallons per mile. When not in use, a turbocharger
      just sits there, doing nothing and costing nothing.
      Your best bet for efficiency is to install a nice dual exhaust
      setup to increase the airflow efficiency, get a good carburetor on
      it and keep it in top tune. Change the air filter regularly and
      switch to synthetic fluids all around. While synthetics are more
      expensive, they last longer, have lower friction and will help
      increase the mpg numbers. All of this might gain you 2-3 mpg and make
      the cost worthwhile over the long run. Since many RV's sit for long
      periods, the synthetics also have better adhesion properties and help
      prevent corrosion to the drive train. There's no way you're going to
      take a 1970's 14,000+ GVRW vehicle and increase it's mileage from
      8-10 to15-20. Not going to happen. Remember, you're pushing 2 4x8
      sheets of paneling through the air at 50+ mph. But, at $3.00+/gallon,
      even 2-3 mpg would help a lot. You have to measure the cost vs the benefits.

      Ron
      76 Coachmen
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic