29621Turbocharging

  • Ron Mitchell
    Mar 1 11:55 AM
      I'm going to start a new subject thread on this issue. I believe
      we've discussed this before. I'm a big fan of turbocharging.

      At 10:30 PM 02/29/2008, you wrote:
      >adding a turbo system isnt goin to add mpgs....and from what ive
      >been told...aint gonna do squadoooche for my torque or power.

      I beg to differ with those statements. It may or may not help your
      MPG a bunch, depends on how many hills you have to climb with the
      pedal to the floor, just to get over the top or drop a gear or two
      and crawl over. A correctly sized and installed turbocharger can
      easily double the HP of any gas engine, but it don't come free. More
      power means more fuel. I believe that using the extra fuel to climb a
      long hill at the speed limit would be more efficient in the long run
      than crawling over at 30 mph.
      Those big tractors you see at the tractor pulls with 1000+ HP do it
      by using multi-staged turbo systems, where one feeds into another. In
      cars, where acceleration is important, turbo setups are a compromise
      between power and the time to spool up (lag time). It's the lag time
      that car folks dislike and the reason they're not used more. Small
      turbos spool quickly, but don't give big HP increases, unless you use
      a bunch. Some exotic (big $$$) sports cars have 4 and more turbos to
      resolve that issue. Some put out 1,000 HP from 8.0L (488 ci). That's
      not much bigger than my 440.
      Back to the real world and our RV's, even a small 6-8 lbs boost,
      which would require no mods to the lower end of the engine, would add
      50% or more to the HP and torque. That's a lot of help. I don't care
      if it takes a second or two for the turbo to spool up, I'm not going
      to be drag racing the semi in the next lane, but I would like to be
      able to pass him on the hills and maintain the speed limit, or close
      to it, while climbing those hills. If it helps the engine to breathe
      better, maybe it can help the MPG a little, it all depends on how
      it's set up. Properly set up, at worst, it won't hurt the MPG.
      The engines from the 60's & 70's (pre-emission and computer) are
      ideal to boost with turbos. There's no computer or anything to worry
      about, just plumbing. The bible of turbocharging is "Turbochargers"
      by Hugh MacInnes, first published in 1976. I do have my copy. It will
      tell you everything you need to know. Now all I need is the $$$ to do it...
      Oh, by the way, I had a 1980 Turbo Mustang GT. It was a 4-cylinder
      and would out run the V-8 Cobra of the same era. There was no
      competition in a road race. With the turbo spooled up and running, it
      out accelerated and handled much better, due to a better weight
      distribution. I surprised a lot of folks in that car. I modified it
      to boost up to 10-12 lbs. Normal max was 8. It would go like the
      proverbial bat. I had it for 150K miles and was sorry to let it go,
      but not enough room for the kids.

      Ron
      76 Coachmen
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic