28960RE: [classicrv] Re: question

  • Elizabeth
    Nov 1 10:54 AM
      I travel with my dogs to dog events and I’m on the K9RV list and you should
      here all the complaints and maintenance on the new ones. Some people have
      older ones but I would tell you don’t buy anything brand new. Also most of
      the problems that were from the manufacturer are already done. Yes you will
      see a lot of stuff break down on them in the first 3 years. Most people buy
      used and at least 3 years old or older. Then most of the outgassing is gone
      by then. I have a 79’ 25 ft Yellowstone Camino TT and a Chevy Express 1 ton
      15 pass van that can haul pretty much anything.

      Vintage RV's are very addicting. We got our first one, an '82 Champ Transtar
      on a spur of
      the moment type of thing. The only work it needed was some new tires and an
      system. It has a bit of patina on it, but it adds to the character. If I
      wanted a new one with
      it's features, it could have cost almost $100K!

      We got our Eldorado Starfire because we had so much fun with the Transtar,
      two must be
      twice the fun. Nothing has ever been made like a Starfire and that was part
      of it also. The
      added size will be nice also for longer trips. Mileage is the same in newer
      ones vs. older
      ones. I looked at a $450K Prevost that got 6mpg, then you got to park the

      Most newer rigs are designed to "last" only 3-5yrs as the manufacture's
      research has
      found that most people trade them in that frequently. This was not the case
      on the older

      Most people that have them for sale either don't have time or space for them
      or lack the
      knowledge to do simple maintenance (newer rigs require the same maintenace,
      and most
      owners take them to the RV dealers for "big bucks").

      Sometimes it might be more "roughing it" with an older motorhome (aw, no DVD
      and 42" plasma to go with it), but that shouldn't be what RVing is all

      My 2¢,
      Tim K.