      From: nordr@...
      To: classicrv@egroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2000 10:45 PM
      Subject: [classicrv] Best Roof Coating?

      Bill in Texas wrote:

      >Help! I do enjoy having a shower in the rig but really the wife
      >thinks we should keep it confined to the actual shower not the
      >bedroom;>). I have taped all the seams and that seemed to cure my
      >problem until that last 2000 mile plus trip. Now when it rains it
      >pours inside. I guess I have shaken things open. I have thought
      about
      >re-roofing with rubber but that gets pricey. My thought is to use
      the
      >seam tape and patching compound then go over the entire roof with 1
      >or 2 coats of Kool Seal. Let me know what you have tried and had
      >success with. As always I value your opinions. Thanks in advance!
      >Bill (Texas)

      I used Kool Seal on the roof of my 30-foot class-A, Bill. Not so
      much for sealing out water, but to protect the sealent underneath it
      and for cooling. That super-white color really makes a difference
      on keeping a roof cool. With the rather thin insulation on these
      roofs, that makes for a big difference inside.

      But the primary reason is to protect the seams sealent. Sunlight
      really does a job on the silicone sealers. I don't know how many
      times I've walked around or on top of a rig and taken the edge of
      a sealent strip and pulled it up for the full length of the patch.
      Part of the problem is probably surface preparation, but the big
      sealent killer is sunlight.

      And how many rigs have I seen that the owner tried to seal windows
      by laying a track of RTV over the top of the original sealent only
      to have it literally fall off after a couple years (or less). You
      gotta remove the old stuff, get under the rubber, and use a butyl
      based sealer. Asking silicone to simultaneously stick to metal,
      fiberglass, old butyl sealent, and glass is asking a bit much of
      it.

      The previous owner of a class-C I had went around the roof seam
      and applied some of the toughest sealent I ever ran across. It
      stuck to the fiberglass edge like gang busters. Trouble was it
      didn't stick to the aluminum roof. So water simply slid on under
      it. I had a horrible time getting the stuff off and the original
      putty under the seam was totally dried out.

      I found the key to solving a leak was not to try cover up the
      seam that was leaking with more sealent, but to get under it,
      where the original stuff was, and replace the failing sealent.
      Then make sure the sun can't eat it up. Slopping glop over the
      top of a suspected leak ain't gonna woik for long!!

      Another thing I've found on these older rigs is loose screws
      that prestage getting a leak. Air gets under the seam, dries
      out the sealent, and voila! This is especially true on rigs
      that use an aluminum channel with a sealent under it, screwed
      down atop the seam. The screws are hidden by a vinyl strip
      inserted in the channel. As the chassis flexes the screws work
      loose, get water in them and rust, especially on wooden-framed
      units. They commonly use phillips or those square-slotted screws
      (you may have to get a matching screwdriver). While my current
      rig has an aluminum framework, nonetheless I go around after
      every trip and check for loose screws (and often find them).

      Not being an expert, and as my son's wrestling hero would say:
      "And that's all I got to say about that!" :o)

      Good luck. Ron in MD

      eGroups Sponsor