28282Re: 86 Toyota Conquest

  • Dutch
    Aug 1, 2007
      About the only thing I would add to Scott's excellent review of the
      Toyota based class C's, is that there was a rear axle recall that
      affected most '86 and older units, where an inadequate and dangerous
      semi-floating rear axle and "homemade" dual wheel setup, was replaced
      with a heavy duty full-floating axle and true deep-dish dual wheels.
      Most '86's were upgraded prior to being sold, but some older units
      without the upgrade are still out there. The Toyota-Campers group has
      some good pictures of the good and bad axles/duals in their photo
      section. Basically, if the rear axle has 6-lugs and a large protruding
      center hub, it's ok.

      '86 Dolphin 21'

      --- In classicrv@yahoogroups.com, Scott Williams <swillia5@...> wrote:
      > If the size of a Toyota class C is good for you, they're very
      > reliable vehicles. Not a ton of power, but they make up for it with
      > great fuel economy (relatively) and I bet cheaper maintenance (I'm
      > guessing the tires are a lot less money than the 19.5" ones for my
      > Class A.) You definitely want to look at the frame and underside
      > for rust, as Toyotas had rust issues.
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic