      From: classicrv@yahoogroups.com [mailto:classicrv@yahoogroups.com]On
      Behalf Of awolkoff
      Sent: Monday, July 31, 2006 5:39 PM
      To: classicrv@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [classicrv] Should we fix this classic? Or? HELP!

      Hello,

      We purchased our 1973 Grumman MH in 2004. This is one of the few
      Grummans with an International frame and motor. Since that time it
      has traveled many miles, from Arizona to Vermont to places in
      between.

      Yesterday while on the way home from a trip, the right rear brake
      seemed to "lock up." I was very close to home and so was able to
      limp the coach there. Thanks to FMCA Road Service, the coach was
      towed to my trusty mechanic, Thomas Motors in Lino Lakes, MN.

      The mechanic has now inspected the coach and called with a list of
      particulars. In summary, the lining of the right brake broke away
      from the the shoe. A piece of this is what caught and lalmost
      completely locked up the rear wheel. Due to the heat generated by
      the locked wheel, all of the rubber parts melted.

      The mechanic (who is very trustworthy/honest/qualified to work on
      these old coaches) relates that the entire rear brake system is
      obsolete and there are no parts available for it off the shelf. He
      can get the shoes relined. He can also get the wheel cylinders
      rebuilt on a custom basis (same process as for a street rod). The
      return springs were adversely affected by the heat and have lost
      their "spring." He thinks he can get these back to snuff. He also
      estimates that a good bit of brake line may need to be replaced due
      to age/rust etc. Bottom line for these repairs: approximately
      $1,000 to $1,500.

      Otherwise the coach is in pretty solid condition. The body is all
      aluminum and is solid. The front and end caps as well as the roof
      are fibreglass. These are also solid but show some
      weathering/hazing/"crazing." The stove/oven and fridge are original
      and work. The generator is an Onan with about 200 hours on it--also
      works well. The heater works. The A/C unit is one year old and of
      course is fine. It also has newer shocks, starter and batteries.

      Should we bite the bullet and make this repair? Or is this the
      start of the beginning of the end for major mechanical systems? Is
      it time for the Grummy to go to pasture? Help--we're too
      emotionally involved.

      ASW

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic