RE: [classiccitycycling] Will it Really be Safe?

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 15, 2011
      Good luck y'all and be safe! Listen to Len. He is one that knows.
      Harv

      To: classiccitycycling@yahoogroups.com
      From: skeeterabc@...
      Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 04:53:24 -0800
      Subject: Re: [classiccitycycling] Will it Really be Safe?

      I don't want to ride - going out Prince should be okay and that's all, can't afford to fall. Yes call me a chicken s#!t , just can't take any more time off work. Besides the bad part of riding over ice is the water sheen on top of ice. If you do ride today drop the tyre pressure by 10 - 15 lbs soft tyres have a better grip.
      Len

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 15, 2011
        Not chicken shit at all. Given Rick's email and how the streets look in front of my house, I'm not riding with the WBL. I say lets do an alternative route with a small group. the only safe thing that sounds for sure is Rick's ride. steve

        On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 7:53 AM, Len SLote <skeeterabc@...> wrote:

        I don't want to ride - going out Prince should be okay and that's all, can't afford to fall. Yes call me a chicken s#!t , just can't take any more time off work. Besides the bad part of riding over ice is the water sheen on top of ice. If you do ride today drop the tyre pressure by 10 - 15 lbs soft tyres have a better grip.
        Len

        On Fri Jan 14th, 2011 9:56 PM EST Richard Oswalt wrote:

        >Steve/Mark/Joe/Lennie:

        >Because I'm co-leading the NGBB ride Sat. from Winterville, at 3:00 p.m. Friday I drove the scheduled route and some other nearby roads (such as to Watson Mill).  Nearly every street had at least one spot where ice COMPLETELY covered it, and nearly every time I came to a place where tall trees formed a sun-blocking wall, there was trouble.  So good luck with the WBL's ride.  By the way, I did come up with an alternate route using just two roads, both out and backs (Arnoldsville Rd to Yancey, Robert Hardeman/Morton to Belmont).  Crappy, but cabin fever should spur a few of us to settle for crappy.

        >Be safe, Rik

      • Len SLote
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 15, 2011
          The road between Watkinsville & Bishop is a sunny section. Could do intervals or controled repeats. 3:00 pm should be the warmest part of the day, just to late in the day.
          Len

        • JoeFoxAthens@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 15, 2011
            Good morning everyone.

            The ride from Winterville at 1:00 pm from Pittard Park is on for today.  We have confirmed with Rik.  We will see you there!

            Joe

            On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 9:56 PM, Richard Oswalt <richardoswalt@...> wrote:

            Steve/Mark/Joe/Lennie:

            Because I'm co-leading the NGBB ride Sat. from Winterville,Friday I drove the scheduled route and some other nearby roads (such as to Watson Mill).  Nearly every street had at least one spot where ice COMPLETELY covered it, and nearly every time I came to a place where tall trees formed a sun-blocking wall, there was trouble.  So good luck with the WBL's ride.  By the way, I did come up with an alternate route using just two roads, both out and backs (Arnoldsville Rd to Yancey, Robert Hardeman/Morton to Belmont).  Crappy, but cabin fever should spur a few of us to settle for crappy.

            Be safe, Rik