Will it Really be Safe?

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 14, 2011
      Well, Superdraft was pretty sanguine about riding with the WBL tomorrow, but I'm still worried. It seems like that slushy, icy snow stuff is staying on some roads, particularly when there is shade. Some of it will refreeze into ice tonight and probably won't melt in the shade tomorrow morning. I know spots on New High Shoals are currently bad, at 4pm today even with the warmer temps.

      It seems like it just takes one icy spot somewhere with that huge fast moving peloton and "slam!" people are on the ground. On the other hand, if 5-10 antelope-type people are riding together for 60 miles, we can communicate and slow down and be a bit more careful. I'll even pull as much as anyone wants me to.

      Lenny, are you out there? do you think WBL will be safe tomorrow, from a Canadian perspective?

      I'm not afraid of the effort and want to do the WBL, but hitting tarmac when you could predict there is danger (duh, icy roads anyone?) is really pretty stupid.

      Steve Kogan
      smkogan@...
      http://antelopeathens.blogspot.com

    • mry240@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 14, 2011
        The WBL website only shows an 11am start time. I've been on that side of town today and everything is still a mess. I can't imagine that route out of town being clear if you consider the roads we'll be traveling. There is a lot of shade and low spots after Prince Ave. And there is still ice on the road on Prince near The Grit.
        I was planning on trying it and simply staying well toward the back of the pack.
        I'm also up for a smaller group ride around Oconee and surrounding counties. Either way I would plan on walking the bike in spots.

        Mark R. Yount

[...]

      • Richard Oswalt
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 14, 2011
          Steve/Mark/Joe/Lennie:

          Because I'm co-leading the NGBB ride Sat. from Winterville, at 3:00 p.m. Friday I drove the scheduled route and some other nearby roads (such as to Watson Mill).  Nearly every street had at least one spot where ice COMPLETELY covered it, and nearly every time I came to a place where tall trees formed a sun-blocking wall, there was trouble.  So good luck with the WBL's ride.  By the way, I did come up with an alternate route using just two roads, both out and backs (Arnoldsville Rd to Yancey, Robert Hardeman/Morton to Belmont).  Crappy, but cabin fever should spur a few of us to settle for crappy.

          Be safe, Rik

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 15, 2011
            I don't want to ride - going out Prince should be okay and that's all, can't afford to fall. Yes call me a chicken s#!t , just can't take any more time off work. Besides the bad part of riding over ice is the water sheen on top of ice. If you do ride today drop the tyre pressure by 10 - 15 lbs soft tyres have a better grip.
            Len

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 15, 2011
              Good luck y'all and be safe! Listen to Len. He is one that knows.
              Harv

              To: classiccitycycling@yahoogroups.com
              From: skeeterabc@...
              Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 04:53:24 -0800

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 15, 2011
                Not chicken shit at all. Given Rick's email and how the streets look in front of my house, I'm not riding with the WBL. I say lets do an alternative route with a small group. the only safe thing that sounds for sure is Rick's ride. steve

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 15, 2011
                  The road between Watkinsville & Bishop is a sunny section. Could do intervals or controled repeats. 3:00 pm should be the warmest part of the day, just to late in the day.
                  Len

                • JoeFoxAthens@gmail.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 15, 2011
                    Good morning everyone.

                    The ride from Winterville at 1:00 pm from Pittard Park is on for today.  We have confirmed with Rik.  We will see you there!

                    Joe

                    On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 9:56 PM, Richard Oswalt <richardoswalt@...> wrote:

                    Steve/Mark/Joe/Lennie:

                    Because I'm co-leading the NGBB ride Sat. from Winterville,Friday I drove the scheduled route and some other nearby roads (such as to Watson Mill).  Nearly every street had at least one spot where ice COMPLETELY covered it, and nearly every time I came to a place where tall trees formed a sun-blocking wall, there was trouble.  So good luck with the WBL's ride.  By the way, I did come up with an alternate route using just two roads, both out and backs (Arnoldsville Rd to Yancey, Robert Hardeman/Morton to Belmont).  Crappy, but cabin fever should spur a few of us to settle for crappy.

                    Be safe, Rik