question

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 27, 2010
      Hey people,

      I have a question. I am trying to create a paceline riding tip sheet for the wed ride. I have read conflicting info:

      some tips say--never, never, never, ever overlap the wheel in front of you

      but a couple of people say this:

      Ride slightly to the side of the rider in front of you, so if they slow you either stop pedaling and start to slightly overlap your front wheel with their rear wheel, or you touch the brakes gradually, using the "wheel overlap" as a buffer zone so as not to slow down too suddenly

      in practice I actually do the latter, rather than brake suddenly i will overlap the wheel in front a bit, though I try not to stay there.
      thoughts? opinions?
    • Bethany Goldman
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 27, 2010
        So, I am a relatively inexperienced paceline rider and you, Steve K., taught me everything I know, but here's what I think...

        It's best not to overlap, but when the choice is brake suddenly or overlap for a few seconds, the latter is preferable.  Are there people who never overlap?

        (Orange) George (from Europe) might have something to say about his.  I've heard him wax authoritative about this topic before.

        See you tomorrow,

        Bethany

        On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 9:25 PM, Steve Kogan <smkogan@...> wrote:

        Hey people,

        I have a question. I am trying to create a paceline riding tip sheet for the wed ride. I have read conflicting info:

        some tips say--never, never, never, ever overlap the wheel in front of you

        but a couple of people say this:

        Ride slightly to the side of the rider in front of you, so if they slow you either stop pedaling and start to slightly overlap your front wheel with their rear wheel, or you touch the brakes gradually, using the "wheel overlap" as a buffer zone so as not to slow down too suddenly

        in practice I actually do the latter, rather than brake suddenly i will overlap the wheel in front a bit, though I try not to stay there.
        thoughts? opinions?

      • Steve Boyette
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 27, 2010
          Try to stay back behind the other rider's wheel, but off to the side.  As Steve said, then you can overlap long enough to sort of absorb the slowing or stopping ahead of you.  Otherwise, you're going to hit them.  Still it's safer to not overlap, but when riding in a paceline you're always violating the stopping distance formula.  It's a risk we ride with.  If you preserve the space that's needed to prevent yourself from hitting someone in front of you when they brake suddenly, then you're not really riding in a paceline.  You would be so far back that there would be no draft benefit and as we all know - what's the point in that?

          Another thing that everybody could benefit from is that when there are a lot of people in the paceline a "slinky effect" sets up and the people in the middle and rear of the line are constantly having to brake and then speed up to try to stay on the line.  This is really dangerous and may be what took Harvey down.  One way to minimize this is to sort of break the line into smaller pace lines.  It doesn't have to be a complete separation, but if one person would back off the wheel in front of them they can absorb those accelerations and decelerations pretty well.  Food for thought.

          Steve B.