Saturday ride from my house in Farmington

  • Anthony Glenn
    Message 1 of 3 , May 28, 2009

      I’m covering all bases to get the word out on a change of time for Saturday’s ride I’m leading through Nitty Gritty.

      The departure time is 9:00 AM, not 1:00 PM as previously advertised.  Hope folks can make it!

      SATURDAY, MAY 30
      FARMINGTON, DOUBLE-HITTER
      9:00 AM departure

      Celebrate the end of May with the Farmington version of the Lake Oconee Loop. Starting from Tony Glenn's house in the heart of Farmington, we will head down Salem Road to Greshamville in Greene County, turning left onto Copeland Road and then heading back north (name changes to Colham Ferry Road at the Oconee County line).  For those interested in the short ~29 mile ride, you will take a left at Mayne Mill Road and climb the hill back into Farmington .

      For those interested in more miles, we will turn right onto Antioch Church Road and ride the 27-mile Antioch Church Loop counterclockwise through Watkinsville and Bishop and returning to Colham Ferry. We then end the ride with a right turn onto Mayne Mill and the climb into Farmington .

      Directions to Tony's house from US441: head south on US441 passing Watkinsville and Bishop.  Approximately three miles south of Bishop begin to slow down as you pass the Texaco convenience store on your right.  Turn left at the old train depot (now Winterhawk Pottery).  Turn left at the stop sign next to the old Carson Supermarket. My house is the fourth on the left ( 2660 Old Farmington Road ). Park in the side lot to the left of the house. Call if you have questions (706-224-2240). Email: aglenn@....

      Cheers,

      Tony

      Anthony E. Glenn, Ph.D.
      USDA, ARS
      Russell Research Center

      Toxicology & Mycotoxin Research Unit

      950 College Station Road
      Athens, GA   30605
      Ph:  706-546-3119
      Fax:  706-546-3116
      Email #1:  anthony.glenn@...
      Email #2:  aglenn@...
      Web:  http://ars.usda.gov/saa/athens/rbrrc/tmru

      "It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a

      country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and

      coast down them. Thus you remember them as they

      actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill

      impresses you, and you have no such accurate

      remembrance of country you have driven through

      as you gain by riding a bicycle."

      Ernest Hemingway

    • Joe Fox

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 13, 2009

          Now here is an idea I could get into.  It even has an awning for shade!

          http://www.beerbike.co.uk/