Man I miss doing these great rides

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 17, 2009

      While I’ve made some Nitty Gritty’s the past few weeks, I missed out on those great Wednesday battles and will skip a fun sounding ride today from EPA. I really miss being in great shape and just being able to go no matter what. I’ve had some pretty significant neck issues, a pinched nerve from a herniated disc (one of several). It’s a chronic, long term thing; bad genetics, childhood injuries, bad posture.  When I ride I’ll probably be on my mountain bike with slicks (less stressful position). I’ve been getting some interesting physical therapy and learned that a lot of places in my spine were simply immobile. Cycling, especially mountain biking probably doesn’t help. Looking back, some of the efforts last year just destroyed me, especially things like 6 gap and 6 hour solo enduro races. I would walk like a 70 year old man for days afterward. Wouldn’t it be nice to have Harvey or Bruce’s genetics? Anybody have a connection for HGH and testosterone?

      Hopefully if I lay off, do what the PT says, and take care of myself I can work my way back to being an active rider, getting cracked by that wiley Joe Fox 10 yards before the sign, a mere 2 minutes behind Bruce, and 12 seconds ahead of Harvey who forgot to shift gears on the steep hill. Until then, it will be mellow efforts, sub 2 hours. I seriously don’t want to end up with some neurosurgeon cutting open my throat, sucking out my disk and doing god knows what to my vertebrae.

      Love the ride reports. Tony, feel free to use the list for EPA rides.

      SteveK

      Steven M. Kogan, Ph.D.

      Assistant Research Scientist

      The Center for Family Research

      1095 College Station Rd.

      Athens, GA 30602

      (706) 425-2979

      smkogan@...

      http://www.cfr.uga.edu

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 17, 2009
        we miss you steve. do what the doc tells you. you have piss poor genes but we still love you.
        harvey

        Visit me at www.positive-outcomes.com

        To: classiccitycycling@yahoogroups.com
        From: smkogan@...
        Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 12:36:27 -0400
        Subject: [classiccitycycling] Man I miss doing these great rides

[...]

        smkogan@uga. edu

        http://www.cfr. uga.edu

        Hotmail® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Find out more.
      • Anthony Glenn
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 17, 2009

          Youth is clearly wasted on the young.

          Take care and follow the orders of your PT.

          Stay off the single track.  We want you healthy and back out on the road with a flexible and solid spine.

          Tony

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 18, 2009
            Hey Steve,

            Why do we do these things to ourselves? I've been feeling like an old man lately, too. Hope you heal up well. We are lucky here in Georgia to have a long (perpetual?) cycling season. So if you chilled for a while and came back strong in the summer/fall, you'd probably be at an advantage. I've usually worn myself out by then. All of us who go hard early on would get our comeupance!

            Bruce