587Re: [classiccitycycling] Hogpen / Hwy. 348 Closed

  • Alan Bowden
    Apr 2, 2010
      Interesting...I wonder what 6-gap would do?
      AB

      On Apr 1, 2010, at 4:53 PM, Bruce wrote:

      Hello All,

      Went up to get my climb on today and thought I'd share some intel. I parked in Helen and the plan was to go up Hogpen, Jack's, and Unicoi. Alas, I found Hogpen / Hwy. 348 closed from just past Ravens Cliffs. There were warning signs approching 348, but I figured I'd go as far as I could, which wasn't far.

      So I backtracked and went up Unicoi. Cresting the top I hailed a rider from the other direction. He said the north approach to Hogpen was also closed.

      I got a good ride in anyway, but I asked at the welcome center in Helen what was up. Apparently, the unusually harsh winter pretty much trashed the pavement and she says they're going to have to repave the whole thing -- if/when funds become available. She was under the impression it would be closed for quite some time, probably past "leaf season" (and, I'm thinking, Six Gap?).

      I don't know how accurate the info is. I heard a rumor that some cyclists had been riding past the barricade anyway, which I contemplated myself. We'll see what happens . . .

      Anyhow, I just wanted to pass this along in case anyone had plans to head up there with the warmer weather.

      Bruce

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic