tuning mystery

  • lrn830
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 12, 2006
      Hi
      WhenI tune individual cylinders, right hand cyl wont rev clean.
      If I close the choke almost completely, then tune cylinder, it will
      rev out better, but still almost chokes on quick jabs of throttle.
      Left hand cyl is not as bad.
      Is this the carb, or timing?

      Peter
    • Tony Linz
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 13, 2006
        Check the fuel flow from the tank to the carb.
        Sounds like too little fuel or you have an air leak somewhere between
        the choke and cylinder.
        If you are real careful you can check for an air leak with a tiny
        spray of starter fluid (ether). Spray on the connection and see if
        RPM increases. (CAUTION: USE A VERY LITTLE OR YOU CAN DO SEROUS
        ENGINE DAMAGE)

        Blaze

        --- In cjmechanicalhelp@yahoogroups.com, "lrn830" <peterg56@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi
        > WhenI tune individual cylinders, right hand cyl wont rev clean.
        > If I close the choke almost completely, then tune cylinder, it will
        > rev out better, but still almost chokes on quick jabs of throttle.
        > Left hand cyl is not as bad.
        > Is this the carb, or timing?
        >
        > Peter

      • freddie balanay
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 13, 2006
          Peter,

          The same situation happend to me when I was using the
          plastic gas filters on my Chang. With the filter
          placement being close to the engine, it melted the
          ends limiting gas flow and causing it to run lean.
          Heated gas (gas boiling) can also melt the plastic
          filters as well. I replaced my gas filters with new
          glass style filters and I haven't had any problems
          since.

          I would also recommend using the heat resistance
          spacers to be placed between the jugs and carbs. They
          make a huge difference by reducing heat transfering to
          the carbs that can cause "gas boiling" and resulting
          in a leaner mixture. I had Gary from
          gary@... make me a set. He now has
          them available for K37, PZ24.PZ26, PZ28 style carbs to
          sell. They are very inexpensive and they work. A
          great improvement on the Chang. I highly recommend
          it.

          Good Luck!

          Regards,
          Fred Balanay
          San Jose, California

          > --- In cjmechanicalhelp@yahoogroups.com, "lrn830"
          > <peterg56@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi
          > > WhenI tune individual cylinders, right hand cyl
          > wont rev clean.
          > > If I close the choke almost completely, then tune
          > cylinder, it will
          > > rev out better, but still almost chokes on quick
          > jabs of throttle.
          > > Left hand cyl is not as bad.
          > > Is this the carb, or timing?
          > >
          > > Peter

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • lrn830
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 13, 2006
            Thanks for the replys. Tried the spray bottle of fuel around intake
            and carb, but no change in idle. I have spare carbs changed them and
            still runs breathless on right side unless choke lever is vertical,I
            have no filters in fuel line. Ill change the fuel tap to another to
            see if that helps
            Thanks Peter
          • freddie balanay
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 13, 2006
              Fuel tap and also check your valve clearance.

              Keep us posted and good luck.

              Regards,
              Fred Balanay
              San Jose, California

              --- lrn830 <peterg56@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the replys. Tried the spray bottle of
              > fuel around intake
              > and carb, but no change in idle. I have spare carbs
              > changed them and
              > still runs breathless on right side unless choke
              > lever is vertical,I
              > have no filters in fuel line. Ill change the fuel
              > tap to another to
              > see if that helps
              > Thanks Peter

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • lrn830
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 14, 2006
                valve clearance OK,going to shorten fuel line so its pointing down,
                maybe better flow?Interesting ,when i use retard lever on left cyl,it
                has noticable effect, on right it has no effect, Is this normal?
                Peter
              • freddie balanay
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 14, 2006
                  No it's not normal. Mine effects both cylinders.

                  Is your bike a M1 22hp 6v?

                  How is your compression? If they check OK, then I
                  would replace the condensor, and points.

                  Check the distributor cap and rotor for cracks

                  Also, Check the spark plugs and wires.

                  Good luck.

                  Regards,
                  Fred Balanay