Re: Vicksburg and Gettysburg / a question

  • hartshje
    Message 1 of 51 , Mar 3, 2002
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., "aot1952" <wakefield1952@m...> wrote:

      > I think that the differences between the ANV and the AoT were
      > more numerous than just in their field and corps commanders.

      YES INDEED! The ANV was used to winning, and the AoT was used to
      losing. Don't you think that having R.E.Lee come to lead them would
      have boosted their morale? Look at how the other commanders looked
      up to Longstreet when he got there. I am in no way trying to deify
      Lee, but he was unquestionably the best top general the South had,
      and the men in the ranks knew it.

      > Just my opinion but I still think that Vicksburg's greatest chance
      > for survival laid with the unification of command of all the CS
      > forces east and west of the Mississippi River into one field
      > command.

      I AGREE WHOLE-HEARTEDLY.

      JOE
    • hartshje
      Message 51 of 51 , Mar 7, 2002
        --- In civilwarwest@y..., "wh_keene" <wh_keene@y...> wrote:
        > Joe,
        > I always thought Grant had something to do with the initial
        > evacuation of Nashville. Maybe score the point for Foote with an
        > assist by Grant. (Sorry, basketball terminology sneaks in
        > sometimes.)
        > With an alternative outcome to Stone's River and a recapture of
        > Nashville, I think the challenge for Bragg would be to contest any
        > effort of Grant to cross the Tennessee.

        Will,

        1. Of course, it was Grant who captured Fort Donelson, opening the
        Cumberland R. all the way to Nashville. But when A.S. Johnston
        retreated from Bowling Green, he didn't even try to defend Nashville
        against Buell coming down from Kentucky. He knew he couldn't do
        anything to stop Foote's flotilla, nor could he keep them from
        helping Buell to cross the river. So Johnston chose to abandon the
        city and hook up with Beauregard at Corinth. (Here's another what if:
        what if Beauregard had come to Nashville instead, and their combined
        forces struck Buell after he crossed the Cumberland?)

        2. Assuming, in our hypothetical scenario, that Bragg scores a
        knockout at Stone's River, and recaptures Nashville, I think the best
        next move on his part would be to go after Grant who is still in
        northern Mississippi at this time, hopefully linking up with
        Pemberton's army. Here again, we see that an overall commander in
        this theater would be needed. Logically, that would be Bragg. Do
        you think he could have managed a hook-up with Pemberton? What do
        you think Grant's reaction to all this would be?

        Joe