Re: Vicksburg and Gettysburg / a question

  • hartshje
    Message 1 of 51 , Mar 3, 2002
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., ecm777@a... wrote:
      > . . . IMHO if Lee came to the west, he would have had the respect
      > and cooperation of his subordinates and not had the problems that
      > Bragg seemed to provoke. . . .

      That was exactly the point I was trying to make, and even more so,
      Lee would have Longstreet with him. As to Lee's attitude or will to
      fight, I don't think there's any question that his devotion to duty
      and sense of honor would have motivated him to give his all. I'm
      sure he recognized that victory in the West would still help save
      Virginia by winning the war.

      Another question arose about his knowledge of the terrain, and the
      use of the cavalry. Lee was a top notch engineer, and could read a
      map or read the lay of the land as well as anyone. Plus, he would
      have access to all the accumulated knowledge of the men who HAD been
      there all along. Now about the cavalry: wasn't the main problem in
      the West in regards to cavalry that the CG's kept sending it off on
      wild raids way behind the front lines? Lee knew better than this,
      and I believe he would have kept that arm much closer at hand to
      perform it's proper functions. And I don't think anyone here would
      try to say a Bedford Forrest couldn't equal a Stuart.

      Just more to ponder!
      Regards, Joe
    • hartshje
      Message 51 of 51 , Mar 7, 2002
        --- In civilwarwest@y..., "wh_keene" <wh_keene@y...> wrote:
        > Joe,
        > I always thought Grant had something to do with the initial
        > evacuation of Nashville. Maybe score the point for Foote with an
        > assist by Grant. (Sorry, basketball terminology sneaks in
        > sometimes.)
        > With an alternative outcome to Stone's River and a recapture of
        > Nashville, I think the challenge for Bragg would be to contest any
        > effort of Grant to cross the Tennessee.

        Will,

        1. Of course, it was Grant who captured Fort Donelson, opening the
        Cumberland R. all the way to Nashville. But when A.S. Johnston
        retreated from Bowling Green, he didn't even try to defend Nashville
        against Buell coming down from Kentucky. He knew he couldn't do
        anything to stop Foote's flotilla, nor could he keep them from
        helping Buell to cross the river. So Johnston chose to abandon the
        city and hook up with Beauregard at Corinth. (Here's another what if:
        what if Beauregard had come to Nashville instead, and their combined
        forces struck Buell after he crossed the Cumberland?)

        2. Assuming, in our hypothetical scenario, that Bragg scores a
        knockout at Stone's River, and recaptures Nashville, I think the best
        next move on his part would be to go after Grant who is still in
        northern Mississippi at this time, hopefully linking up with
        Pemberton's army. Here again, we see that an overall commander in
        this theater would be needed. Logically, that would be Bragg. Do
        you think he could have managed a hook-up with Pemberton? What do
        you think Grant's reaction to all this would be?

        Joe