Re: WOW! awfully quiet/ Jaffa book

  • glblank
    Message 1 of 37 , Mar 3, 2002
      > Jaffa, Jack Kemp, and Joseph Sobran have been crossing swords over
      > this book [internecine conservative warfare] ; apparently Sobran and
      > Kemp had a debate, wish I could have caught that. I saw Jaffa on
      > booktv; he said he is a conservative, made some good cases defending
      > Lincoln and the traditional view of Lincoln, but I didnt agree with
      > him about all his conclusions. One side of this can be found in the
      > internet:
      > http://www.sobran.com/columns/010405.shtml
      > http://www.sobran.com/columns/010517.shtml

      What Sobran fails to mention is how Jaffa developed his thought on
      Lincoln not from an Aristotlean plane but that of Jefferson.
      Aristotle was cited more for his treatises on natural rights which
      Jaffa used as a foundation for the constitution. Sobran has a nasty
      little habit of snipping out that which he interprest as this
      "Messiah-like" ideal of Lincoln which Jaffa, imo, did not do. And of
      course there's the Peoria speech which Sobran insinuates in his piece
      that Jaffa touched on briefly and admits the man's imperfection. But
      when you read the address, you realize he was right. The short story,
      Jaffa is interpretive, but Sobran is more Charles Adams than I care to
      stomach.

      Geoff
    • glblank
      Message 37 of 37 , Mar 3, 2002