Re: Vicksburg and Gettysburg / a question

  • philip@twinoaks.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2002
      I think that the transfer or troops in 1863 is interesting to speculate
      about. I think that maybe the best move is not only to pull 15,000
      from the East, but also to take from Bragg. Rosecrans was not in
      any hurry to get anywhere, and after Tullahoma he had a tough nut
      to crack just setting up the logistics to get into Chattanooga. How
      many could be taken from Bragg and sent to Johnston along with
      the troops from the East. Until Vicksburg fell, its relief should have
      been the top priority for the Confederate command. 30,000 troops,
      plus arms and artillary was a devastating loss. Get them out of
      that hole and forget the Trans-Mississippi, it was long gone
      anyway. 30,000 armed troops could have gone a long way toward
      reinforcing Bragg at that point.

      For me, the "what if" is what would it have taken to win the battle of
      Missionary Ridge. Let's take it as a given that Lincoln had to win
      the election in 1864, and that it was lost without Atlanta. How
      could the Confederacy have delayed for the extra couple of
      months? A victory at Chattanooga might have done it, and the
      situation there needed to be remedied. The opportunity presented
      itself when Davis visited after Chickamauga. He not only turned
      away without relieving Bragg (no matter how unjustly maligned), he
      also ordered 15,000 troops to Knoxville, a dispersal rather than a
      concentration in the face of the obvious build up.
      Philip