Re: Where do I search next? MO.

  • hartshje
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3 12:05 AM
      Jack, This is a great site!! Thanks so much. I found 110
      individuals with my last name, which is about as unique as yours.
      All but two are Union. The unit histories are an added bonus.

      Regards, Joe

      --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Jack Hultquist" <jahultqu@a...> wrote:
      > When using
      >
      > http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/soldiers.htm
      >
      > I have found the least entered the best. I knew everything about
      Harrison Talbert but when I put his unit in as 3rd Indiana Battery it
      gave me a "no show". The website has his unit as something like 3rd
      Battery, Indiana. I suggest not entering the unit. I had total
      success when I only entered Harrison Talbert. I found it extremely
      interesting when I only entered Talbert because I was able to locate
      some of his cousins etc. both in the North and South. There were
      only 278 Talberts listed. Probably not a good idea to try that if
      your name is Smith
    • carlw4514
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3 5:19 PM
        I was able to find my great grandfather, and the regimental info
        mentioned him as one of two alternating commanding officers!... thanks
        again for sharing this Jack!!
        carl