Re: Vicksburg and Gettysburg / a question

  • hartshje
    Message 1 of 51 , Mar 2, 2002
      Lee,

      I think Lee's reputation and personna would have produced great
      respect from the subordinate commanders. They would also have been
      very happy to be rid of Bragg. Plus, Lee & Longstreet would be
      working together. Also, I don't doubt that Meade would have moved
      against Johnston, and most likely would have forced him back to
      Richmond. But Johnston was a skilled defender, and IMO he could have
      consumed enough time to allow events in the West to play out. But
      who knows just how it would have gone. It's just fun guessing!

      Joe
      P.S. To Carl: Thanks for the info about the game, I'm getting it!

      --- In civilwarwest@y..., LWhite64@a... wrote:
      > Interesting thoughts, although I do wonder how well Lee would have
      > fit in with some of the misfits in the AOT, especially if Davis
      > brought Polk back in as a Corps Commander. As to JJ in Virginia, I
      > guess the hope would then be that the Federals would not launch
      > some sort of offinsive, or Johnston might retreat back to North
      > Carolina<grin>. On a more serious note though, I don't think Lee
      > would have done all that well in the West, his heart just wouldn't
      > have been in it and I also wonder how well he would have been
      > supported by his Generals out here, undoubtably he would have fared
      > better than Braxton.
      >
      > Lee
    • hartshje
      Message 51 of 51 , Mar 7, 2002
        --- In civilwarwest@y..., "wh_keene" <wh_keene@y...> wrote:
        > Joe,
        > I always thought Grant had something to do with the initial
        > evacuation of Nashville. Maybe score the point for Foote with an
        > assist by Grant. (Sorry, basketball terminology sneaks in
        > sometimes.)
        > With an alternative outcome to Stone's River and a recapture of
        > Nashville, I think the challenge for Bragg would be to contest any
        > effort of Grant to cross the Tennessee.

        Will,

        1. Of course, it was Grant who captured Fort Donelson, opening the
        Cumberland R. all the way to Nashville. But when A.S. Johnston
        retreated from Bowling Green, he didn't even try to defend Nashville
        against Buell coming down from Kentucky. He knew he couldn't do
        anything to stop Foote's flotilla, nor could he keep them from
        helping Buell to cross the river. So Johnston chose to abandon the
        city and hook up with Beauregard at Corinth. (Here's another what if:
        what if Beauregard had come to Nashville instead, and their combined
        forces struck Buell after he crossed the Cumberland?)

        2. Assuming, in our hypothetical scenario, that Bragg scores a
        knockout at Stone's River, and recaptures Nashville, I think the best
        next move on his part would be to go after Grant who is still in
        northern Mississippi at this time, hopefully linking up with
        Pemberton's army. Here again, we see that an overall commander in
        this theater would be needed. Logically, that would be Bragg. Do
        you think he could have managed a hook-up with Pemberton? What do
        you think Grant's reaction to all this would be?

        Joe