Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Vicksburg and Gettysburg / a question

  • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 51 , Mar 2 6:37 PM
      In a message dated 3/2/2002 8:41:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, Hartshje@... writes:

      What if Davis had ordered Lee to
      go to Chattanooga with him in early October '64 (instead of
      Pemberton), and then replaced Bragg with Lee, shuffled Bragg down to
      Mississippi, and moved Johnston back east to play his famous game of
      defense?

      Now this is an interesting scenario.   One main catch in it is that I can just imagine Johnston and Davis going after each other's throats all the time.  Johnston I am afraid would not last.  In the West, Lee would soon have to go on the defensive.  Perhaps the Confederates would have won more battles with more successes.   Lee would not have retreated after Stone's River nor at Chicamaugua just let Rosecrans set in and form a defense.  There are several more instances where the South would have come out victorious, however the loss of troops due to Lee's sense of attack - attack - and attack again.  Where would he get replacements.  Eventually, he would have had to play a defensive and strategic withdrawl game just like Johnston had to do.  Once again, the situation rests not so much on the ability of the commander, but with the numbers he has to play with along with the ratio of those numbers in comparison to the enemy.
      This of course is IMHO

      Wayne
    • hartshje
      Message 51 of 51 , Mar 7 8:35 PM
        --- In civilwarwest@y..., "wh_keene" <wh_keene@y...> wrote:
        > Joe,
        > I always thought Grant had something to do with the initial
        > evacuation of Nashville. Maybe score the point for Foote with an
        > assist by Grant. (Sorry, basketball terminology sneaks in
        > sometimes.)
        > With an alternative outcome to Stone's River and a recapture of
        > Nashville, I think the challenge for Bragg would be to contest any
        > effort of Grant to cross the Tennessee.

        Will,

        1. Of course, it was Grant who captured Fort Donelson, opening the
        Cumberland R. all the way to Nashville. But when A.S. Johnston
        retreated from Bowling Green, he didn't even try to defend Nashville
        against Buell coming down from Kentucky. He knew he couldn't do
        anything to stop Foote's flotilla, nor could he keep them from
        helping Buell to cross the river. So Johnston chose to abandon the
        city and hook up with Beauregard at Corinth. (Here's another what if:
        what if Beauregard had come to Nashville instead, and their combined
        forces struck Buell after he crossed the Cumberland?)

        2. Assuming, in our hypothetical scenario, that Bragg scores a
        knockout at Stone's River, and recaptures Nashville, I think the best
        next move on his part would be to go after Grant who is still in
        northern Mississippi at this time, hopefully linking up with
        Pemberton's army. Here again, we see that an overall commander in
        this theater would be needed. Logically, that would be Bragg. Do
        you think he could have managed a hook-up with Pemberton? What do
        you think Grant's reaction to all this would be?

        Joe