Re: Where do I search next? MO.

  • Jack Hultquist
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2002
      Re: Where do I search next? MO.

      I can't help you with your quest but I have to say I had no idea
      such a website existed! thanks so much for sharing
      carl
      ___________

      Carl thank you for your response.  I hope the website will also help others.  When using

      I have found the least entered the best.  I knew everything about Harrison Talbert but when I put his unit in as 3rd Indiana Battery it gave me a "no show".  The website has his unit as something like 3rd Battery, Indiana.  I suggest not entering the unit.  I had total success when I only entered Harrison Talbert.  I found it extremely interesting when I only entered Talbert because I was able to locate some of his cousins etc. both in the North and South.  There were only 278 Talberts listed.  Probably not a good idea to try that if your name is Smith

    • hartshje
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2002
        Jack, This is a great site!! Thanks so much. I found 110
        individuals with my last name, which is about as unique as yours.
        All but two are Union. The unit histories are an added bonus.

        Regards, Joe

        --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Jack Hultquist" <jahultqu@a...> wrote:
        > When using
        >
        > http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/soldiers.htm
        >
        > I have found the least entered the best. I knew everything about
        Harrison Talbert but when I put his unit in as 3rd Indiana Battery it
        gave me a "no show". The website has his unit as something like 3rd
        Battery, Indiana. I suggest not entering the unit. I had total
        success when I only entered Harrison Talbert. I found it extremely
        interesting when I only entered Talbert because I was able to locate
        some of his cousins etc. both in the North and South. There were
        only 278 Talberts listed. Probably not a good idea to try that if
        your name is Smith
      • carlw4514
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2002
          I was able to find my great grandfather, and the regimental info
          mentioned him as one of two alternating commanding officers!... thanks
          again for sharing this Jack!!
          carl