Re: WOW! awfully quiet/ Jaffa book

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 37 , Mar 1, 2002
      Jaffa, Jack Kemp, and Joseph Sobran have been crossing swords over
      this book [internecine conservative warfare] ; apparently Sobran and
      Kemp had a debate, wish I could have caught that. I saw Jaffa on
      booktv; he said he is a conservative, made some good cases defending
      Lincoln and the traditional view of Lincoln, but I didnt agree with
      him about all his conclusions. One side of this can be found in the
      internet:
      http://www.sobran.com/columns/010405.shtml
      http://www.sobran.com/columns/010517.shtml

      --- In civilwarwest@y..., "glblank" <glblank@y...> wrote:

      > Harry Jaffa's "New Birth of Freedom, Abraham Lincoln and the Coming
      of
      > the Civil War". A very meaty book on the philosophical, theoretical
      > and factual issues as debated by the intelligensia of ninteenth
      > century America based on interpretations of natural and positive
      law.
      > I recommend it for anyone who follows the "secession legal?"
      debates
      > that permeate the generic CW ngs.
      >
      > Geoff
    • glblank
      Message 37 of 37 , Mar 3, 2002
        > Jaffa, Jack Kemp, and Joseph Sobran have been crossing swords over
        > this book [internecine conservative warfare] ; apparently Sobran and
        > Kemp had a debate, wish I could have caught that. I saw Jaffa on
        > booktv; he said he is a conservative, made some good cases defending
        > Lincoln and the traditional view of Lincoln, but I didnt agree with
        > him about all his conclusions. One side of this can be found in the
        > internet:
        > http://www.sobran.com/columns/010405.shtml
        > http://www.sobran.com/columns/010517.shtml

        What Sobran fails to mention is how Jaffa developed his thought on
        Lincoln not from an Aristotlean plane but that of Jefferson.
        Aristotle was cited more for his treatises on natural rights which
        Jaffa used as a foundation for the constitution. Sobran has a nasty
        little habit of snipping out that which he interprest as this
        "Messiah-like" ideal of Lincoln which Jaffa, imo, did not do. And of
        course there's the Peoria speech which Sobran insinuates in his piece
        that Jaffa touched on briefly and admits the man's imperfection. But
        when you read the address, you realize he was right. The short story,
        Jaffa is interpretive, but Sobran is more Charles Adams than I care to
        stomach.

        Geoff