Point of interest & a question, shotgun?

  • P. B. Jones
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2002
      For those who might be reluctant to open the attachment I've copied and pasted the information.  BTW Yahoo supposedly has "advanced virus protection".  I don't know what that means...looking for more details on the website.  Could it be that attachments of which we're suspicious would be safely opened on the website?

      Pat

      From:  Nonums@...
      Date:  Fri Mar 1, 2002  10:30 am
      Subject:  Point of interest
      To:  Hvonbork@...

      Battlefields in jeopardy
      By Arlo Wagner
      THE WASHINGTON TIMES

           Two nearly 140-year-old Civil War battlefields in Virginia are among 10
      in the United States most endangered by developmental sprawl and
      superhighways, officials of the Civil War Preservation Trust said yesterday.
            Six other Virginia sites are listed on a separate list of 15 at-risk
      battlefields in Pennsylvania, Georgia, Louisiana, New Mexico, Missouri and
      Ohio.
           "With so many Civil War sites under siege from urban sprawl, we could
      easily have selected a hundred," said Trust President James Lighthizer.
           "Real people risked their lives at these battlefields for ideals they
      cherished above life itself. Allowing these sites to fall prey to
      development dishonors the memory of their courage and sacrifice," said Civil
      War historian and preservationist Brian Pohanka.
           "The Bush administration has been very supportive of us," said Mr.
      Lighthizer.
            Trust Chairman Carrington Williams of McLean said, "It is vital to
      motivate local residents if the battlefields are to be saved. We have close
      to 38,000 members now."
           The joining of opposing forces after the Civil War was vital to the
      creation of the greatest democracy in the world, according to the Trust.
      More than 620,000 Northerners and Southerners died, more than in all
      American wars from the Revolution through the Vietnam War.
            The Civil War results are recognized worldwide. Mr. Williams said
      people from France, England, Germany and other nations come to America to
      watch and participate in annual re-enactments of battles.
           "An Englishman said to me, 'I don't know why the Civil War fascinates
      me so much, but it does,'" Mr. Carrington said.
           The two most endangered Virginia battlefields are Chancellorsville,
      along Route 3 between Fredericksburg and Culpeper, and Gaines' Mill and Cold
      Harbor, a few miles east of the Confederate capital at Richmond.
           The Chancellorsville campaign is considered by historians to be Gen.
      Robert E. Lee's greatest victory. It was there that his fellow general,
      Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson, was killed--accidentally--by his own troops.
           The sprawl from Fredericksburg already has "devoured" the Salem Church
      battlefield along Route 3, the Trust states. And in October, Virginia's
      Department of Transportation announced plans for a $121 million bypass near
      the Chancellorsville battlefield that will attract the same type of sprawl
      that has sprung up along Route 3.
           Developers are eyeing the nearby 781-acre Ashley Farm, scene of the
      first day of Chancellorsville fighting, despite efforts of the Trust and the
      Central Virginia Battlefields Trust.
            Lee won the first war victory at Gaines' Mill, lifting the siege of
      Richmond. Two years later in 1864, Lee's Confederates were pitted against
      the Union Army of Gen. Ulysses S. Grant at nearby Cold Harbor. The two
      battles killed more than 30,000.
           The Trust's annual report states that residential development along
      Interstate 295 is overcoming both battle sites. The upper half of Cold
      Harbor battlefield is "lost beyond recall," and three housing developments
      are on the perimeter of Gaines' Mill.
           The other eight most endangered battlefields are at Atlanta;
      Bentonville, N.C.; Corinth, Miss.; Franklin, Tenn.; Gettysburg, Pa.; Harpers
      Ferry, W. Va.; Richmond, Ky.; and Stones River, Tenn.
           At Gettysburg, the Trust is concerned that the construction of a new
      visitors' center at Baltimore Pike and Hunt Avenue will attract chain
      restaurants and stores like those plaguing the Emmitsburg Road and Steinwehr
      Avenue corrider. Also, the nearby Daniel Lady Farm could be repossessed if
      the Gettysburg Battlefield Preservation Association is unable to pay off the
      note.
           The Virginia at-risk battlefields are Manassas and Bristoe Station,
      southwest of Manassas; McDowell, west of Charlottesville nearly to the
      Virginia border; Petersburg; Wilderness, west of Fredericksburg on Route 20;
      and Stephenson's Depot, along Route 11 north of Winchester.
           Mason-Dixon Polling and Research conducted a poll last week that showed
      68 percent of the registered Prince William County voters favored
      preservation of Bristoe Station from overdevelopment. About 21 percent were
      opposed to preservation while 11 percent had no opinion, said Trust
      spokesman Jim Campi.
           The other at-risk battlefields are Averasboro, N.C.; Morris Island,
      S.C.; Allatoona Pass, Ga; Raymond, Miss.; Mansfield, La.; Glorieta, N.M.;
      Pilot Knob, Mo.; Fort Heiman, Ky.; and Buffington Island, Ohio.