Ask Cozzens a Question, Win B&L5!

  • L. A. Chambliss
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2002
      Hi group...

      Civil War Interactive is doing an exclusive interview (online) with well
      known Western Theater author Peter Cozzens in connection with the recent
      release of his newest book "Battles & Leaders Vol 5", a continuation of
      the famous "Battles & Leaders" made up of writings BY THE PARTICIPANTS
      in various Civil War actions. These writings originally ran around the
      turn of the last century in various publications, particularly The
      Century Magazine, and were organized, whenever possible, in pairs with a
      combatant from each side writing on the same topic.

      We are running a contest allowing readers to submit questions for this
      interview, whether about Cozzens previous books, B&L5, any Western
      Theater topic, or such other suitable topic of your choosing. We will
      pick what we think are the best three questions, and whoever submitted
      them will (1) get their question asked of Mr. Cozzens and (2) win a
      copy--autographed by the author no less!-- of B&L 5.

      This book is a knockout, folks. Here are the selections just under the
      heading "Western Theater 1862":

      Desperation and Heroism at the Battle of Valverde, by Lt. Franklin Cook.

      The Shiloh Campaign by Gen. Pierre G. T. Beauregard
      The Great Locomotive Chase by Pvt. Jacob Parrott
      The Attack on Corinth by Capt. Clinton H. Parkhurst
      Losing a Division at Shiloh by Gen. Richard W. Johnson

      Just to pick a few other articles at random, we have:
      Why Lee Lost at Gettysburg, by Gen. Henry Heth
      >From Tullahoma to Chattanooga by Gen. Wm. S. Rosecrans
      My Negotiations with General Sherman by Gen. Joseph E. Johnston.

      There are other goodies as well. The book is over 700 pages and has 53
      articles along with notes, index etc.

      To see all the details, including the address to send your question to,
      visit
      http://www.civilwarinteractive.com/cozzensinterviewpre1.htm

      Laurie Chambliss
      Associate Editor
      Civil War Interactive
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2002
        Hi Pat,

        Sorry, I guess I was not clear in my last post. The interview will be "online" in the sense that we are doing it by email. Peter Cozzens, although best known to all of us as a Civil War writer, is in his "day job" employed by the US Foreign Service and stationed most of the time overseas. This makes face to face interview difficult due to shortfalls in the CWI travel budget. Alas, if we could do it in a chat room we wouldn't have to do the "best questions" contest because everybody could just ask what they wanted to in realtime.  Maybe someday.

        We'll send him the questions; he'll send back the answers; we'll publish the interview. Or something like that, heck, we've never done anything quite like this so we're making it up as we go along. :-)

        Laurie

        Hi Laurie, Sounds great. :)  Now tell me how is this going to work online?  I checked the page and see nothing detailing how this interview will proceed.  By online I'm assuming you mean live chat?  Where?  You and Joe have some chatroom of which I'm unaware?  ;) Best regards. Pat
        Civil War Interactive is doing an exclusive interview (online) with well
        known Western Theater author Peter Cozzens in connection with the recent
        release of his newest book "Battles & Leaders Vol 5",

      • P. B. Jones

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2002
            Oh, okay.  I thought it might work like some chats on CompuServe when they've interviewed authors.  Very well moderated IMO.  Questions are submitted one at a time, some obviously given to the author before.  I've been impressed with the format for author discussions there.

            Looking forward to this interview experience with Cozzens.   Thanks for your efforts (also those of the Beastly Editor).  ;)