Re: WOW! awfully quiet-- so what is everyone read

  • philip@twinoaks.org
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2002
      Just doing my homework. Recently I have read everything with
      Archer Jones name on it that I could find in used book stores.
      Then I read Woodworth's Jeff Davis and the Failure of the High
      Command in the West, I'm just finishing Mckinney's Education in
      Violence, and I'm trying to decide whether to move on to Albert
      Castel's Decsion in the West or Connelly's two books on AoT.

      I'm pleased to hear that Robertson's Stonewall Jackson receives
      such high praise, I've had it on my shelf for a couple of years and
      haven't gotten around to it.
      Philip
    • Aurelie1999@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 28, 2002
        In a message dated 2/28/02 10:03:31 AM, philip@... writes:

        << Woodworth's Jeff Davis and the Failure of the High
        Command in the West, >>

        Steven Woodworth is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. He's good.

        Thomas Connelly, Archer Jones and Richard McMurry belong to the group who
        believe that the CW was decided in the west and that too many historians are
        dazzled by the Gettysburg glitter and Lee luster while ignoring where the
        real deciding moments happened at Vicksburg, the Tullahoma campaign,
        Chattanooga and from Atlanta to the sea. I think that all three are worth
        reading if for no other reason than where they shine the spotlight.
        Connie