Vicksburg and Gettysburg

  • wh_keene
    Message 1 of 51 , Feb 27, 2002
      I was browsing old messages and came across a comment by Bob
      Huddleston ("One of the hard parts of doing a campaign -- or a
      battle -- is keeping everything in perspective, things happening at
      the same time, often scattered apart by miles. How many think of
      Morgan's Raid into Ohio as being part of the Gettysboourg Campaign?")
      and I had an interesting thought:

      How many think that the Gettysburg campaign is really a part of the
      Vicksburg campaign?

      Most books I have read suggest that Lee's northward movement in the
      summer of '63 was a direct result of Grant's success in Mississippi:
      Davis wanted some action taken in response to the encirclement of
      Vicksburg; Lee was oppossed to sending a portion of his army west but
      suggested a threatening move into Maryland/Pennsylvania which might
      counterbalance Grant. From a broad perspective, Gettysburg was an
      unsuccessful sideshow to distract from Grant's capture of Vicksburg.
    • hartshje
      Message 51 of 51 , Mar 7, 2002
        --- In civilwarwest@y..., "wh_keene" <wh_keene@y...> wrote:
        > Joe,
        > I always thought Grant had something to do with the initial
        > evacuation of Nashville. Maybe score the point for Foote with an
        > assist by Grant. (Sorry, basketball terminology sneaks in
        > sometimes.)
        > With an alternative outcome to Stone's River and a recapture of
        > Nashville, I think the challenge for Bragg would be to contest any
        > effort of Grant to cross the Tennessee.

        Will,

        1. Of course, it was Grant who captured Fort Donelson, opening the
        Cumberland R. all the way to Nashville. But when A.S. Johnston
        retreated from Bowling Green, he didn't even try to defend Nashville
        against Buell coming down from Kentucky. He knew he couldn't do
        anything to stop Foote's flotilla, nor could he keep them from
        helping Buell to cross the river. So Johnston chose to abandon the
        city and hook up with Beauregard at Corinth. (Here's another what if:
        what if Beauregard had come to Nashville instead, and their combined
        forces struck Buell after he crossed the Cumberland?)

        2. Assuming, in our hypothetical scenario, that Bragg scores a
        knockout at Stone's River, and recaptures Nashville, I think the best
        next move on his part would be to go after Grant who is still in
        northern Mississippi at this time, hopefully linking up with
        Pemberton's army. Here again, we see that an overall commander in
        this theater would be needed. Logically, that would be Bragg. Do
        you think he could have managed a hook-up with Pemberton? What do
        you think Grant's reaction to all this would be?

        Joe