Re: [civilwarwest] WOW! awfully quiet-- so what is everyone reading?

  • lilsteve68@aol.com
    Message 1 of 37 , Feb 27, 2002
      In a message dated 2/27/02 12:26:40 PM Central Standard Time, FLYNSWEDE@... writes:

      Vicksburg and written by none other than Ed Bearss.  Extremely high praises
      in the reviews.

      Wayne

      Speaking of  Mr Bearss , he was just in town ( In Nashville )  at the annual Battle of Nashville Preservation Society Dinner..

      The also had a dedication for the Confederate Redoubt # 1

      Steven- Lilsteve
    • glblank
      Message 37 of 37 , Mar 3 7:42 PM
        > Jaffa, Jack Kemp, and Joseph Sobran have been crossing swords over
        > this book [internecine conservative warfare] ; apparently Sobran and
        > Kemp had a debate, wish I could have caught that. I saw Jaffa on
        > booktv; he said he is a conservative, made some good cases defending
        > Lincoln and the traditional view of Lincoln, but I didnt agree with
        > him about all his conclusions. One side of this can be found in the
        > internet:
        > http://www.sobran.com/columns/010405.shtml
        > http://www.sobran.com/columns/010517.shtml

        What Sobran fails to mention is how Jaffa developed his thought on
        Lincoln not from an Aristotlean plane but that of Jefferson.
        Aristotle was cited more for his treatises on natural rights which
        Jaffa used as a foundation for the constitution. Sobran has a nasty
        little habit of snipping out that which he interprest as this
        "Messiah-like" ideal of Lincoln which Jaffa, imo, did not do. And of
        course there's the Peoria speech which Sobran insinuates in his piece
        that Jaffa touched on briefly and admits the man's imperfection. But
        when you read the address, you realize he was right. The short story,
        Jaffa is interpretive, but Sobran is more Charles Adams than I care to
        stomach.

        Geoff