SUNDAY 2/24 discussion in us-civilwar's chatroom!

  • P. B. Jones
    Message 1 of 37 , Feb 24, 2002
      Pardon the commercial break...  ;)

      SUNDAY EVENING, 9 pm EST in the us-civilwar chatroom
      "Zollicoffer's Ghost" will be giving a presentation and entertaining questions on the subject of...
      THE RAILROAD IN THE CIVIL WAR

      To access the chat please use one of the following links:

      FYI many people seem to have better luck with the chat format if they use Netscape.  I get along fine using Internet Explorer, but the majority seem to experience more bumps from the room with that browser.

      Best regards.

      Pat
    • glblank
      Message 37 of 37 , Mar 3, 2002
        > Jaffa, Jack Kemp, and Joseph Sobran have been crossing swords over
        > this book [internecine conservative warfare] ; apparently Sobran and
        > Kemp had a debate, wish I could have caught that. I saw Jaffa on
        > booktv; he said he is a conservative, made some good cases defending
        > Lincoln and the traditional view of Lincoln, but I didnt agree with
        > him about all his conclusions. One side of this can be found in the
        > internet:
        > http://www.sobran.com/columns/010405.shtml
        > http://www.sobran.com/columns/010517.shtml

        What Sobran fails to mention is how Jaffa developed his thought on
        Lincoln not from an Aristotlean plane but that of Jefferson.
        Aristotle was cited more for his treatises on natural rights which
        Jaffa used as a foundation for the constitution. Sobran has a nasty
        little habit of snipping out that which he interprest as this
        "Messiah-like" ideal of Lincoln which Jaffa, imo, did not do. And of
        course there's the Peoria speech which Sobran insinuates in his piece
        that Jaffa touched on briefly and admits the man's imperfection. But
        when you read the address, you realize he was right. The short story,
        Jaffa is interpretive, but Sobran is more Charles Adams than I care to
        stomach.

        Geoff