Re - General David Hunter - Missouri

  • Jack Hultquist
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2002
      General David Hunter is whom Harrison B. Talbert was referring to when on Oct 27, 1861 he wrote "And the rebel troops just stripped things as they went through.  Our troops would steal some too, but they darsent to do it.  General Hunter is as strict as a preacher on this, he wont allow them to steal any thing at all."

      On page 965 of "The Civil War Day by Day" by Long it states this is the same General David Hunter that a few years later on June 11, 1864 burned VMI.

      Harrison B. Talbert's, Hunter's, and other peoples attitudes toward the war had to change as the war went on.

      Harrison's attitudes that had to change:
      1861 August 14, Indianapolis, Indiana while waiting to be mustered into the service.
             "You must excuse [me] for not writing more for I expect to be at home before long so nothing more at present."

      [Harrison would returned home for the first time 21 months later on furlough after he had lost many of his Shelby County, Ind. friends at Lone Jack.]

      1861 September 7, St Louis, Missouri
             "As we came out here we come a past Col. Fremonts house.  He gave us a hearty welcome and he said we had the best lot of horses and the best looking men he had seen.  Fremont sent us to this place to camp and it is on a Secessionist farm but he has used us mighty well so far, he has got a peach orchard and he gives us all we want if we will take them thats on the ground.  This is a very nice country so far as I have seen.  It is about 6 or 7 miles out to the big Prairies.