[civilwarwest] My info on the 38th O. V. I.

  • enjolras31@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 23, 1999
      I dug up some info on the 38th Ohio Infantry. I got it from a relative,
      but I believe the soure is some collection of Ohio regimental
      histories. The regiment was raised in north-west Ohio in the summer of
      '61. The regiment fought at Perryville in 1862. It then marched with
      Rosecrans to Stone's River, where it fought in Walker's Bde. It playedt
      a "conspicious" role in the battle but lost few men. The regiment then
      too an active part of the Tullahoma campaign before resting in
      Winchester. The 38th was spared from fighting at Chickamauga as they
      were conducting the supply trains back towards Chattanooga. The 38th
      suffered through the siege of Chattanooga, and supposedly was the
      extreme left flank of the Union line assaulting Missionary Ridge. It
      suffered light casulties in the engagement. The regiment continued to
      fight well after the other brigades had retired for the night. They
      followed Bragg to Ringgold Georgia, whre they set up winter quarters.
      During the Atlanta campaign they first saw action Aug 5 1864. There, on
      the banks of Utoy Creek, three companies of the 38th pushed back a the
      Rebel skirmish line. I beleive that my great....... grandfather, a
      captain in one of the three companies, lead that assault as he was the
      most senior officer behind the colonel. Anyway, of the 120 men who made
      the assault, 51 fell as casualties. The last engagement the regiment
      actively fought in was the battle of Jonesboro. On the second day of
      that battle, Este's Brigade, for which the 38th was a part, assaulted
      Hardee's position north of town. In the charge the 360 man regiment
      took 150 casulties, including four color bearers. After the battle the
      regiment buried the 14th corps' dead and followed Hood into north
      Georgia. After the Union supply and communication lines were secured
      the regiment marched on Savannah, had many engineering duties bestowed
      upon them along the way.

      Other sources sight the regiment as fighting in Peachtree
      Creek,"Nickajack River" and Hoover's Gap.

      Thank you,
      Nick
    • enjolras31@aol.com