Re: Six Armies....

  • hank9174
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 13, 2002
      Dave,

      Here's two points that I can recall 'ol Pete defying Bragg's orders:

      1. Longstreet was insistent on pulling troops back from the river.
      Even Law, the brigade CO at the point of contact, returning from
      furlough, was appalled to find his men withdrawn. After USA troops
      came ashore at Brown's Ferry, Bragg ordered Longstreet to use his
      entire force to retake the landing. Longstreet used one brigade in
      what became the battle of Wauhatchie.

      2. For whatever reason, Longstreet felt that the USA push from
      Bridgeport was going southeast into the mountains(?). Bragg allowed
      Longstreet to sidle a couple of brigades south along the mountain to
      meet this 'threat'. Bragg also ordered a reconnaisance in force
      towards Bridgeport to see what Hooker really was up to. Longstreet did
      not reconn. The first he knew of Hooker's advance was when Geary
      marched unmolested across his front into a strong position.

      Should Bragg have allowed Longstreet to indulge in his fantasy of
      H00ker's whereabouts? Probably not. Should Longstreet have followed
      orders? Probably so...

      HankC