Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Six Armies....

  • LWhite64@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 4 5:39 AM
      Steve,
            I would venture to say that Bragg was more popular than Hindman, but then again one person that could be counted among Hindman's friends was, ironically, Cleburne.

      Lee
    • Kristin Scherrer
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 4 5:46 AM

        Could somone explain Hindman in a little further detail?

        Kristin

          LWhite64@... wrote:

        Steve,
              I would venture to say that Bragg was more popular than Hindman, but then again one person that could be counted among Hindman's friends was, ironically, Cleburne.

        Lee

        Do You Yahoo!?

      • dmsmith001
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 12 9:44 AM
          --- In civilwarwest@y..., "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:

          snips

          > Again, Woodworth points out that Bragg was thwarted by Hardee and
          > Polk during the Tullahoma campaign, <someone> prior to Chickamauga
          > when Rosecrans dangled a division at McLemores Cove, Polk again at
          > Chickamauga and Longstreet at Chattanooga on the left at Brown's
          > Ferry and Wauhatchie.

          I simply wish that Woodworth would have tried to gather an
          understanding of how and why these subordinates didn't work well with
          Bragg.

          You've worked with people like Bragg - it's always someone else's
          fault - never his.

          Tis one of the easy outs for looking at a particular campaign, that
          one can always justify anything in the short term.

          > In all of the above cases, Bragg had opportunities to whack a
          > goodly portion of the AotC; in Longstreet's case, the whole army.

          Longstreet a chance to wreck the whole army, and thwarted Bragg's
          plans? Where and when?

          > Whatever these men's feelings toward Bragg, they pretty much defied
          > direct orders in these situations.

          Let's deal with Longstreet for a moment. What orders did he defy?

          Dave

          Dave Smith
          Villa Hills, Ky
        • hank9174
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 13 8:33 AM
            Dave,

            Here's two points that I can recall 'ol Pete defying Bragg's orders:

            1. Longstreet was insistent on pulling troops back from the river.
            Even Law, the brigade CO at the point of contact, returning from
            furlough, was appalled to find his men withdrawn. After USA troops
            came ashore at Brown's Ferry, Bragg ordered Longstreet to use his
            entire force to retake the landing. Longstreet used one brigade in
            what became the battle of Wauhatchie.

            2. For whatever reason, Longstreet felt that the USA push from
            Bridgeport was going southeast into the mountains(?). Bragg allowed
            Longstreet to sidle a couple of brigades south along the mountain to
            meet this 'threat'. Bragg also ordered a reconnaisance in force
            towards Bridgeport to see what Hooker really was up to. Longstreet did
            not reconn. The first he knew of Hooker's advance was when Geary
            marched unmolested across his front into a strong position.

            Should Bragg have allowed Longstreet to indulge in his fantasy of
            H00ker's whereabouts? Probably not. Should Longstreet have followed
            orders? Probably so...

            HankC