Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Six Armies....

  • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 3, 2002
      lilsteve68@... writes:

      << And as for Hindman he had as many happy followers as Bragg.. I havent
      reafd
      any good comments about him anywere... >>

      Tsk tsk Lee,
      You know that Cleburne thought favorably about Hindman prior to the war in
      Arkansas.

      Wayne <who is feeling like a little devil tonight>
    • LWhite64@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 4, 2002
        Steve,
              I would venture to say that Bragg was more popular than Hindman, but then again one person that could be counted among Hindman's friends was, ironically, Cleburne.

        Lee
      • Kristin Scherrer
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 4, 2002

          Could somone explain Hindman in a little further detail?

          Kristin

            LWhite64@... wrote:

          Steve,
                I would venture to say that Bragg was more popular than Hindman, but then again one person that could be counted among Hindman's friends was, ironically, Cleburne.

          Lee

          Do You Yahoo!?

        • dmsmith001
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 12, 2002
            --- In civilwarwest@y..., "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:

            snips

            > Again, Woodworth points out that Bragg was thwarted by Hardee and
            > Polk during the Tullahoma campaign, <someone> prior to Chickamauga
            > when Rosecrans dangled a division at McLemores Cove, Polk again at
            > Chickamauga and Longstreet at Chattanooga on the left at Brown's
            > Ferry and Wauhatchie.

            I simply wish that Woodworth would have tried to gather an
            understanding of how and why these subordinates didn't work well with
            Bragg.

            You've worked with people like Bragg - it's always someone else's
            fault - never his.

            Tis one of the easy outs for looking at a particular campaign, that
            one can always justify anything in the short term.

            > In all of the above cases, Bragg had opportunities to whack a
            > goodly portion of the AotC; in Longstreet's case, the whole army.

            Longstreet a chance to wreck the whole army, and thwarted Bragg's
            plans? Where and when?

            > Whatever these men's feelings toward Bragg, they pretty much defied
            > direct orders in these situations.

            Let's deal with Longstreet for a moment. What orders did he defy?

            Dave

            Dave Smith
            Villa Hills, Ky
          • hank9174
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 13, 2002
              Dave,

              Here's two points that I can recall 'ol Pete defying Bragg's orders:

              1. Longstreet was insistent on pulling troops back from the river.
              Even Law, the brigade CO at the point of contact, returning from
              furlough, was appalled to find his men withdrawn. After USA troops
              came ashore at Brown's Ferry, Bragg ordered Longstreet to use his
              entire force to retake the landing. Longstreet used one brigade in
              what became the battle of Wauhatchie.

              2. For whatever reason, Longstreet felt that the USA push from
              Bridgeport was going southeast into the mountains(?). Bragg allowed
              Longstreet to sidle a couple of brigades south along the mountain to
              meet this 'threat'. Bragg also ordered a reconnaisance in force
              towards Bridgeport to see what Hooker really was up to. Longstreet did
              not reconn. The first he knew of Hooker's advance was when Geary
              marched unmolested across his front into a strong position.

              Should Bragg have allowed Longstreet to indulge in his fantasy of
              H00ker's whereabouts? Probably not. Should Longstreet have followed
              orders? Probably so...

              HankC