Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Six Armies....

  • lilsteve68@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 3, 2002
      In a message dated 2/1/02 5:21:58 PM Central Standard Time, LWhite64@... writes:

      In the McClemore's Cove debacle it was DH Hill and Thomas Hindman that didnt act as ordered,...Hill going as far as to lie to Bragg.

      Lee

      And as for Hindman he had as many happy followers as Bragg.. I havent reafd any good comments about him anywere...
    • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 3, 2002
        lilsteve68@... writes:

        << And as for Hindman he had as many happy followers as Bragg.. I havent
        reafd
        any good comments about him anywere... >>

        Tsk tsk Lee,
        You know that Cleburne thought favorably about Hindman prior to the war in
        Arkansas.

        Wayne <who is feeling like a little devil tonight>
      • LWhite64@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 4, 2002
          Steve,
                I would venture to say that Bragg was more popular than Hindman, but then again one person that could be counted among Hindman's friends was, ironically, Cleburne.

          Lee
        • Kristin Scherrer
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 4, 2002

            Could somone explain Hindman in a little further detail?

            Kristin

              LWhite64@... wrote:

            Steve,
                  I would venture to say that Bragg was more popular than Hindman, but then again one person that could be counted among Hindman's friends was, ironically, Cleburne.

            Lee

            Do You Yahoo!?

          • dmsmith001
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 12, 2002
              --- In civilwarwest@y..., "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:

              snips

              > Again, Woodworth points out that Bragg was thwarted by Hardee and
              > Polk during the Tullahoma campaign, <someone> prior to Chickamauga
              > when Rosecrans dangled a division at McLemores Cove, Polk again at
              > Chickamauga and Longstreet at Chattanooga on the left at Brown's
              > Ferry and Wauhatchie.

              I simply wish that Woodworth would have tried to gather an
              understanding of how and why these subordinates didn't work well with
              Bragg.

              You've worked with people like Bragg - it's always someone else's
              fault - never his.

              Tis one of the easy outs for looking at a particular campaign, that
              one can always justify anything in the short term.

              > In all of the above cases, Bragg had opportunities to whack a
              > goodly portion of the AotC; in Longstreet's case, the whole army.

              Longstreet a chance to wreck the whole army, and thwarted Bragg's
              plans? Where and when?

              > Whatever these men's feelings toward Bragg, they pretty much defied
              > direct orders in these situations.

              Let's deal with Longstreet for a moment. What orders did he defy?

              Dave

              Dave Smith
              Villa Hills, Ky
            • hank9174
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 13, 2002
                Dave,

                Here's two points that I can recall 'ol Pete defying Bragg's orders:

                1. Longstreet was insistent on pulling troops back from the river.
                Even Law, the brigade CO at the point of contact, returning from
                furlough, was appalled to find his men withdrawn. After USA troops
                came ashore at Brown's Ferry, Bragg ordered Longstreet to use his
                entire force to retake the landing. Longstreet used one brigade in
                what became the battle of Wauhatchie.

                2. For whatever reason, Longstreet felt that the USA push from
                Bridgeport was going southeast into the mountains(?). Bragg allowed
                Longstreet to sidle a couple of brigades south along the mountain to
                meet this 'threat'. Bragg also ordered a reconnaisance in force
                towards Bridgeport to see what Hooker really was up to. Longstreet did
                not reconn. The first he knew of Hooker's advance was when Geary
                marched unmolested across his front into a strong position.

                Should Bragg have allowed Longstreet to indulge in his fantasy of
                H00ker's whereabouts? Probably not. Should Longstreet have followed
                orders? Probably so...

                HankC