Re: [civilwarwest] Bragg at Chickamauga

  • LWhite64@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2002
      It all comes down to Bragg's stubborn determination to not change his plans, and also his fault of not being able to change a plan when something went wrong.

      Lee
    • hank9174
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2002
        IIRC, the road of which you speak was not a factor in the USA line of
        communication with Chattanooga. There are 2 roads leading from the USA
        position back over Missionary Ridge and then to Rossville and
        Chattanooga.

        However, the road of which you speak was used by Granger to forward
        his 'reserve' corps to Thomas, probably saving Thomas' corps from
        being routed.

        I read my first Woodworth book last year. His is the freshest
        voice on the scene in a number of years, breathing new life into old
        subjects and investigating new ones. He packs a lot of thought into
        rather slim and easy-to-read volumes.

        HankC

        --- In civilwarwest@y..., "hartshje" <Hartshje@a...> wrote:
        > I would be very interested to know the group's opinions on this
        > question:
        >
        > Since Bragg seemed to be so intent on driving in the Union
        > left at Chickamauga trying to cut Rosecrans off from Chattanooga,
        > why, after the battle started up, didn't he march one of his corps
        > further north and then west to seize the unprotected portion of the
        > Lafayette Road south of Rossville while still keeping up the
        pressure
        > on Thomas' line? It sure look to me like they had a clear shot at
        it.
        > There was quite a gap between Thomas and Steadman.
        >
        > Joe H.
      • hartshje
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2002
          --- In civilwarwest@y..., "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:
          > IIRC, the road of which you speak was not a factor in the USA line
          > of communication with Chattanooga. There are 2 roads leading from
          > the USA position back over Missionary Ridge and then to Rossville
          > and Chattanooga.
          >
          > However, the road of which you speak was used by Granger to forward
          > his 'reserve' corps to Thomas, probably saving Thomas' corps from
          > being routed.

          Both are excellent points Hank. If enough Confederate troops had
          been diverted to take Rossville Gap and get in the AotC's rear, then
          they probably wouldn't have had the strength to defeat (rout)
          Rosecrans at Chickamauga, in which case he would be able to retreat
          using the other roads through McFarland Gap. Also it would have been
          very difficult to force Rossville Gap if Steadman was still there
          with his whole force of about 7,000 men. On the other hand, if
          Steadman had been kept from coming to the rescue by a solid force
          holding the Lafayette Road, I don't see how Thomas could have escaped
          with any organized force.

          Regards,
          Joe H.
        • dmsmith001
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 12, 2002
            --- In civilwarwest@y..., LWhite64@a... wrote:
            > It all comes down to Bragg's stubborn determination to not change
            > his plans, and also his fault of not being able to change a plan
            > when something went wrong.

            At the risk of rampant me-tooism, Lee is absolutely correct, IMO.

            Dave

            Dave Smith
            Villa Hills, KY
          • nickrelee@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 30, 2006
              In a message dated 1/30/2006 8:45:19 AM Mountain Standard Time, csa_rebel_rob@... writes:
              IIRC, did not Rosecrans also move a federal unit to cover what he thought was a gap in his lines when there really wasn't one.  He just didn't see the troops there.

              I belive this may have helped Longstreet's breakthrough.
              Yes Rosecrans was moving men around, and happened to create a real gap trying to plug a gap that did not exist.  Longstreet happened to attack at the right moment, catching the Union moving and made a breakthrough.